Floating Moss Balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating Moss Balls

Anybody know how to make these? I saw some at Fish Gallery and couldn't resist them so I grabbed a pair. These aren't marimo balls; they're buoyant and are anchored down with fishing weights. I think they're christmas moss wrapped around something. They were too expensive for me to try and reverse-engineer at this point. I think they add kind of an otherworldly look to the aquarium.

Re: Floating Moss Balls

Cool! You could probably wrap the Christmas moss around a round cork ball and use fishing line to secure it and a lead fishing weight buried under the substrate...maybe? Not sure if this will work, but it might be worth a try! They are really cool looking though! I think you can find those round pieces of cork in the craft section of some stores...or like a hobby lobby or Michael's...

Rebekah

Comment

Does it feel like they moss is wrapped around some kind of pre-made sphere-shaped thing? Or are they kinda spongy?

Are they free floating, or are the weights attached to something like fishing line? I can't tell in the pictures.

Wow, no matter how much they were, I don't think I could resist taking them apart just a little!
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

FG had them weighted down with lead weights.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah I buried the fishing weights to add to the look of being suspended mid tank. I gave them a good squeeze and a cork core sounds like a good bet now. Marimo balls would have squished in my hands. I didn't know they made round cork balls. It would be a fun project to try.

Comment

I found some on e-bay that are actually foosballs... LOL! I guess you can still use them since they are real cork... I would post the link, but it is SUPER long and I'm afraid of blowing up the Fishbox...lol I just went on e-bay and searched for "cork balls" and those came up... Good luck! You should try it!

Rebekah

Comment

There are tons of things you can do with moss!

Moss wall sandwiched between cross stitching grids.

Moss wall with moss stapled to cork sheet/board.

Moss ropes

Moss balls moss on just about anything you can find.

Fern is somewhat like that too.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i had to have one too. I dont think that it's cork because the other day mine didn't float, then later it did  It has red thread holding the moss on then fishing line to a weight.

Comment

I saw those at FG too...really cool looking! looks like little moss balloons floating in the tank.

I spoke with the guy that ordered them and he told me they were made with Java moss but maybe those were different since that was a couple weeks ago.

Juicy ><)))))*>

Comment

Maybe it's attached to some of those round stryofoam type fishing floaty ball thingys, bobbers I believe is what they're actually called..
                    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

that's cool...i might have to try making some of those.....

Comment

Its a ping pong ball. At least thats what Don and Steve think, but i don't thing either of them have taken one apart. BTW I think hey look awful.

Comment

Working...
                        X