Filter for Shrimp Tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter for Shrimp Tank?

What are people using? I was thinking of going under-powered ie using a small filter rated for 10 gallons (80-90 gph) for a 20 gallon tank... thought it might be safer with the weaker suction. Also I figured the shrimp wouldn't produce as much waste as fish, but I dunno--would this be enough to keep the water clean? And does anybody know where to get those foam pre-filters to keep shrimp from getting sucked into the intake? I got an old pond filter and was considering cutting up one of the foam elements and MacGyvering something together.

Re: Filter for Shrimp Tank?

Originally posted by PlanB";p="
    I got an old pond filter and was considering cutting up one of the foam elements and MacGyvering something together.
    We were talking about this at the auction. I think that both dblondfemme and eklikewhoa do this for their shrimp/small fry tanks.

But I'll let them chime in, since I don't have a shrimp tank yet.  
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Pentair is dedicated to excellence in all aspects of our business. Whether you need system design, technical service or unrivaled equipment-you can count on us.

or try the hair curlers at the $1 store.  :?
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I use a homemade sponge filter.  

Carwash sponge cut in half.
        1" PVC about 6 inches long with multiple holes drilled on one end and one single hole on the opposite end for airline.
        Airline tubing.
        Air Pump.

Raul
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

Car wash sponge, cut in half, with a 10/20 gallon filter inlet tube pushed halfway into it.

Provides a lot more suction through the sponge than an airpump.

Comment

Phreek I don't know if were serious or not but the curler thing doesn't sound like a bad idea... problem is don't hey usually come in pink? Okay, y'all inspired me to try and cobble something together. Big thanks to everyone. *puts on mullet, cues Macgyver theme song*

Comment

Either Eheim or Aquaclear with sponge on the intake.

With the Eheim any babies that make their way through will be at the bottom of the cannister.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Okay... couldn't resist. The hair curler just seemed so ingenious and simple. And a pack of 12 was cheaper than a car sponge at Walgreens. After trying fruitlessly to squeeze one around the intake using the tiny little hole, I finally got the idea to just cut two in half than fasten it around the pipe. Plus they had some that were aqua-colored instead of pink.

Comment

Nice.  What is the white material you used to wrap around the curler?
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

cable ties at wallmart are $5 for 600.

Comment

Tiny rubber bands work too! I just pulled em off of the bags that some ghost shrimp came in.

Comment

I was referring to what the rubberbands were holding in place over the intake.  You wrapped something around the curler, right?

Raul
                        Raul
                        PokerFace

Comment

Oh no... they probably just look washed out from the flash. I think I'm on a razor's edge enough as it by just putting a women's curler in my manly shrimp tank.   j/k!
                          Good thing about Walgreens--you can buy ANYTHING there without feeling judged.

Okay, it's not a shrimp tank just yet--I'll be getting my babies tomorrow...

Comment

Actually, I think this could qualify as use #27 for old panty hose  
                            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                              Actually, I think this could qualify as use #27 for old panty hose  
                              I almost grabbed some for my submersible Tetra turtle filter (there's ghost shrimp in that tank). But I thought curlers and pantyhose on the same trip would have been a bit much.

Comment

Working...
                              X