Need help with hair algae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with hair algae

My 100gal tank is suffering with hair algae. It is not fully covered with, but I think if i don't take action now, the whole tank will be ruined. Hair algae is all over my vals, and cryps, and on java fern's leaves also. This tank is running 1 65W and 2x78W which make it 2.21wpg. Light is on 10hr per day, from 1PM to 11PM. I use no CO2 and no fert whatsoever. WC 30%, and gravel vaccumn weekly. Air pump turns off whenever the lights are on to supplement enough O2 for the 2 discuses. Also, I clean green dot off the wall everyweek, but they keep coming back 2 days later. Please help me to figure out the problem and solve the condition.

I forget to add that I have 7 nerite nails, and a 6'' pleco.
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Re: Need help with hair algae

cut your lighting time in half. 5 hrs a day.

Large apple snails will eat the hair algae, but you need to make sure they dont eat your plants too.

Comment

Short term solution: You can physically remove it. I've heard of lots of people using old toothbrushes and twirling them in the hair algae. I just use my hands. If it is covering alot of the plants, you may want to consider getting flagfish or amano shrimp to help you with it. Adding K (Potassium) should help as well. Cutting the photo period is another option.

The long-term solution: Find out what is causing it. It is almost guaranteed to be a nutrient imbalance. Others will tell you that you have to add certain fertilizers and supplements. Personally, I beg to differ. I think it is just a matter of finding a balance between the bioload and the quantity and type of plants for your individual setup.

As for the apple snails... I'm pretty sure they would like the plants just as much as the hair algae.

Good luck.  :)
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Pomecea Bridgesii is one applesnail that wont eat live plants. I know theres others.

Comment

Taken from http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...le_Snails.html :

"Some species, such as Pomacea canaliculata, can cause damage to plants. Their size is bigger and they can consume all the plants in an aquarium in a matter of a day or two.

But I recommend Pomacea bridgesii, which is a species of apple snail that is great for a planted tank. They will not eat healthy plants and they love vegetables and fish flakes. They are sold under different names, including mystery snail, ivory snail, Inca snail, jade snail, and golden mystery snail. "

So the large snails commonly sold at the large chain sotres are Pomacea Bridgesii, Brownsnoutuk???
          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless";p="
            So the large snails commonly sold at the large chain sotres are Pomacea Bridgesii, Brownsnoutuk???
            No idea, you might try loopy(rebekah) she has several snails. I only have Haustrum, and i didnt suggest them cause theyd eat anything that didnt get out the way.

Comment

Probably form excessive nutrients in the water.....phosphate either coming from overfeeding or already in your tap water supply.

The lighting sounds fine but the photo period is a bit long especially if there is not enough plants to soak it up which leaves time for the algae to bask in it. Cutting back to 5hrs sounds like a plan and slowly going back up after your problem has been resolved to about 8hrs is what I would do.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah, cannas are really hard to find though...so you probably won't be able to put them in your tank even if you wanted to...you would have to find them on aquabid, and even on there, they are rare. Brigs won't eat your plants and you can buy them almost anywhere...petco and petsmart even sell them in their plant tanks...but I'm not sure if they will eat hair algae or not because I've never had that problem... If anyone wants some good apple snail info go to applesnail.net! It has info on pretty much all of the species and pictures to identify them by the shapes of their shells and their sizes.

Don't really know anything about hair algae though...if you want some really nice brigs though, I can recommend some very nice sellers on Aquabid!! I don't have any for sale right now though...I just started growing me up some breeders for the spring. I hope you get your tank all better soon! Maybe you can siphon it out? I think I saw someone recommend that on here to someone else...??? Anyway, good luck!!

Rebekah

Comment

Well, I'll add my recommendations.

For hair algae, some say Flourish Excel works wonders, just dose every day for a couple of weeks and manually remove all the algae you can.

Also, like Arm said, flagfish will gobble it up, as will rosy barbs. IME, hair algae is pretty darn difficult to get rid of, and I usually just employ my crew of scuds, flagfish, and rosy barbs.  :)
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Cardina Japonica.....hands down the best thing for hair algae....eats like no other and not aggressive like flagfish or barbs...will start to steal food though if there isn't enough to eat.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Can I try snail or Excel, because my Jardini loves shrimp so much?
                      100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
                      30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

Try testing your tap water or waterchange supply...then cut back on the feedings.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Bought Excel today, and immediate applied first dose to the tank (5mL for 10 gal). Light period reduced to 6PM-11PM. Now wait for good news.

Comment

I am experiencing this same problem. Could you post the results? Thanks!!!

Comment

Apostle,

Start your own thread and list the details of the tank along with maintenance and water parameters if you can...pictures will help identify the algae as well. With your own thread you will get personal help and possibly more attention
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X