A question of leveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of leveling

I'm planning to set up a new 55 and have decided on using a plain iron stand.  I know I'm going to have to do some leveling where it will sit...maybe as much as a half inch.   Thought about cutting and painting a board to go on top of the stand for a solid bottom and doing the leveling under this, as opposed to trying to stick something under the legs on one end (seems tacky). Does anyone have any other ideas how I could raise one end that much without it showing a lot?
    MY MANTRA: Yes, I CAN have too many fishtanks!

Re: A question of leveling

okay the question of the day is where are you putting it?...what is the floor made of?...is there carpeting involved?....

Comment

Whether you are using a board on top of the stand or under the legs of the stand, a drape over the stand would hide it.  You would need a longer drape to hide the stand legs.

Raul
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

When I had an iron stand I layed a drape over the stand to cover the legs and leveled through the legs.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Loretta, it would be on an uncarpeted surface. My house just tilts a bit that way.  I may just solved the 'legs' problem by making a bid for Tinman's 55.  I seem to be having a hard time making firm plans for this setup !

Comment

What are you going to do with your 55g you have now?
            Raul
            PokerFace

Comment

Good question ! I don't know !  But I haven't heard back from tinmanhouston yet, so his may be sold already and I'll be back to iron stand, 'legs', and Plan A.

Comment

Step 1 attach the ends of a clear plastic hose to opposite top corners of the metal stand with the open ends an inch or more above the stand.
                Step 2 fill the hose with water until the water is level with the top of the stand.  If the water is the same height on both corners then the stand is level.  If not you need to adjust one of the legs.
                Step 3 if the metal stand is made of bar stock and has curves in it use a large pipe wrench to bend the leg (or a piece of pipe that will slip over the leg).
                If the metal stand is made of angle iron, use a come along from the top of the high side to the bottom of the low side and pull together until the diagonals are equal.  You can also loop some strong wire across the diagnol and with a strong piece of wood, twist the wire to draw the corners closer together

If all else fails, hit it with a hammer  :think:
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Isn't there a way to use stryfoam under the tank for automatic leveling?  I think I saw that posted here some months ago.
                  Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Phish, you are  a seriously dangerous man, LOL !   I'm not sure where I hung my comealong...too much junk in the garage ! But that tubing and water thing is interesting. I might make less mess with a level, though.
                    I did think about putting some foamboard under the tank or under a board under the tank, or both.  
                    I seem to have bought the 55 and stand that Tinmanhouston offered, so maybe it will be easier to put something under that wooden stand. In a way I hate to give up the black-sealed tank I bought for that spot, but no doubt the Oceanic will be better and its stand should be easier to level. Maybe I'll put the iron one downstairs where things are not quite so tilted. Or I could be sane and take it back to Petco.

Comment

I have used the styrafoam under the tank trick and it works well for what it does.
                      It does not level the tank
                      It crushes under the weight of the tank = higher pressure crushing more than low pressure.  The end result is that you get equal pressure support of the tank.  By removing the high pressure points, you are less likely to crack the glass due to uneven pressure.  

If you're going to level a wooden stand, use the wooden wedges sold at home improvement stores to install a door frame.   Works great on a concrete or tile floor but you should use a piece of plywood on a carpeted floor.
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

LOL! I had a problem with a homemade stand here recently being kinda warped in the middle where the tank had to sit... I had already set the tank on the stand and I was alone and couldn't bear to take it off again... Well, anyway, I was on the phone with my boyfriend's grandma and told her about my dilemma and she said that she had just read in a book where someone suggested putting pennies under the not-so-touching part of the tank! I took her advice and it works!! It looks kinda funny at first, but I don't really mind that at all. I even had to use some thicker-than-pennies washers in some places! After I was finished I felt so proud of myself...and relieved that I didn't have to lug that tank again and risk breaking it!

Rebekah

Comment

Now that's an idea I would not have thought of.
                          Raul
                          PokerFace

Comment

women .....we are resourceful at times i think.....neccessity is the mother of invention.....lol.....
                            glad you have  your problem taken care of there ph.....want to see pics of the tank when you get it up too......

FL

Comment

Working...
                            X