help sick snowflake eel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help sick snowflake eel

eel is breathing heavy and has white fuzzy stuff around his mouth.  i read the post below about mouth fungus and im going to treat with antibiotics.  question is there are 8 other fish in the tank(110g)  with the eel that appear fine.  do i need to treat the whole tank or separate the eel and treat him by himself?  i have a pair of silver tip sharks in the same tank that shown the same symptoms as the eel before the eel started showing and it cleared up in 2 days on its own. what do i do ?

Re: help sick snowflake eel

How long has your tank been set up?
    Is there enough aeration going on in the tank?

Try asking over at Marshreef.com
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

tank has been up and running for 3 or more months. there is not a lot of aeration going on in the tank but every thing has been fine till now. this all happened when i put the sliver tips in a week ago they came from pets smart and looked good when i bought them but the next day they looked sick and the next day they where better. could this be from adding more fish causing the oxygen to deplete faster ?

Comment

If I were to take a guess....stab at it....

Uncycled tank
        Poor stock
        Unefficient circulation
        Whatever little bacteria shocked by the added bio-load.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Is this a fresh or saltwater tank? Snowflake eels are marine fish, so I'm just making sure b/c sometimes they aren't sold that way.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The LFS's that I have talked to about them say that they can slowly be acclimated to freshwater but it takes time.  I don't think that I have seen one yet that looks healthy in a LFS.

Comment

Fish Ranch has some healthy ones that I've seen.  :)  I guess it depends on exactly what fish one's talking about when "snowflake eel" is used. I think there are a few fish out there that are sold as "snowflake eels."

From http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebI...wmorayeels.htm

As you can appreciate, many fishes are capable of short-term exposure to conditions that are deleterious in longer time frames. All living things have their tolerance outside of "ideal ranges" of pH, hardness, dissolved oxygen and such. Salinity is another of the possible categories of such tolerance. Hobbyists and dealers in the trade would do well to impress on each other the need for some salt in the water of "freshwater morays", as well as sufficient alkalinity, elevated pH.

The marine snowflake eel:

FAQ:

Those are a few links that will help to ID what kind of eel you have, if . (A great example of why scientific names are important!   )
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
              X