PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions and Comments

Darbex
10-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Well I read that if anyone had any suggestions or comments to post in the section so I decided to start a thread up. I like the new layout, nice touch. I dont know if its my comp or if anyone else is seeing this but some of the links that have pictures are not showing the pictures for example the "post topic" doesnt show an image. It justs has the red X like there should be one and says post topic.

Zulaab
10-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Darbex, I am using Firefox and I dont have the problem you are talking about. *If I use Internet Explorer I see the issue you are referring to. *I have also noticed that the top posts are not showing in Firefox, but they are in Internet Explorer. *
Sadly I dont know PHP-BB well enough to know if there is a difference on how it displays information etc..
I am going to make a search on Google to see if there is something that has to be made different in PHP-BB to fix the issue.

Reason I am bring this up is because it looks like Ken when having to upgrade the site also took advantage of a newer version of PHP-BB and upgraded it too :) *I like it much more

For anyone who is having display problems may want to assist Ken and at the same time report the following information to see if there is a trend.

Browser : Firefox 2.0.0.7

-- I dont see the top posts.. only see those in IE.. but this was also an issue before the site went down. *It was not until I used IE that I noticed the feature there.

Personally I dont care, therefore I am not going to complain about it. * All the post reply / New topic buttons show for me in Firefox but not in IE 7.

My 1.5 cents.
Jesper

Darbex
10-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Yeah what Jesper said. Ok I dont know what PHP-BB is thats like speaking Russian to me. I am an Accountant.

eklikewhoa
10-14-2007, 02:55 AM
It works fine for me.....for the past few months the post icons and such were not working on my phone but it all works now on the phone and on all the comps.

Zulaab
10-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Yeah what Jesper said. Ok I dont know what PHP-BB is thats like speaking Russian to me. I am an Accountant.

Darbex... *PHP-BB is the underlying software that makes up the forum. *It has a set of rules guiding you though it. *You will notice at the VERY bottom of the the pages the following lines :: fisubsilver shadow phpbb2 style by Daz :: PHP-Nuke theme by coldblooded (www.nukemods.com) :: *This is a basically the copyright line for PHP-BB and PHP-Nuke... you will notice it says phpbb2 which equates to PHP-BB ver2. *PHP-Nuke is another app that displays content in forms (like a news paper)
I used to run a BB (Forum) back in the day and its what I used.. but you can modify it from here tilll Friday, but somethings never change. *The version Ken is running is a modification available at www.nukemods.com which is why its listed.

So in short.. The HoustonFishbox is a Forum being run on a server using the software package named PHP-BB - see http://www.phpbb.com/

I will make the best guess and say there is something in the forum code that is causing most of the issues you are seeing with the forum today.

Last but not least... best viewed in Firefox or another non-microsoft aka IE browser.

Darbex
10-14-2007, 11:26 AM
BUt there has to be a way to correct it with out having all IE users go out and buy Firefox or whatever, right?

eklikewhoa
10-14-2007, 12:06 PM
I am on other phpbb sites and never had a problem before firefox I am sure there is some sort of update on your computer to fix it all.

Brownsnoutuk
10-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I dont have any problems viewing on IE7 or Netscape.

Heres the link if you want to upgrade to IE7

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/products/computer/ie7.mspx

Darbex
10-14-2007, 02:50 PM
well I just upgraded to IE7 but I am still getting the same issues

Zulaab
10-14-2007, 04:11 PM
BUt there has to be a way to correct it with out having all IE users go out and buy Firefox or whatever, right?

You can download firefox for free - *www.firefox.com

Jesper

fishlady
10-14-2007, 04:18 PM
okay i see 1/2 pages??????

Brownsnoutuk
10-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Can we get the lounge topics to show up in the recent topics section?

justdoit
10-14-2007, 08:55 PM
don't know if others see this but at the bottom of each reply the boxes are a box w/ red x straight across from the "back to the top" tab * * * * * *also between the last reply and the Page 1 of 1 / quick reply box all boxes are little square w/ red x's

sorry not puter savy AT ALL so hope explanation makes some sense * *V

Darbex
10-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Ok downloaded Firefox and its better than IE it fixed all my problems I was having like red x's and half pages. So I recomend that if anyone is using IE and are having issues to download Firefox. Thank you Jesper.

fishlady
10-15-2007, 07:45 AM
that doesn't make sense to have to download that onto my computer.....i still see the same thing here at work.....ken fixy this please so i don't have to download more crap to my home computer....they wouldn't do it here if i paid them to....so at work it's just going to be 1/2 paged i guess..... :cry:

rrocket2002
10-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm sure its just some tweaking that Ken has to do. *We shouldn't have to switch browsers just to look at the site correctly. *We wouldn't be getting any new Boxers if that was the case.

Raul

Tiapan
10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
sometimes i have issues and sometimes i dont, either way not a huge deal, and yeah firfox is cool, but EK you should know not to be so crazy as to have updates sent to you phone. they would kill me at my work for that. :lol:

HFBfounder
10-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes, that is something i need to fix from the upgrade. I'll look into it

Cameo
10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
I like to page through the Recent Topics. When I choose a topic from > page 1 and read the topic, the Recent Topics list always goes back to page 1, and then I have to re-page through the list each time. *I hope I'm saying this right. Frustrating.

eklikewhoa
10-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I think you are trying to say that in the recent topics page when clicking on a thread it doesn't open the the thread in a new page but rather opens it in the same page, forcing you to back page to go back to the recent topics.

It's always been like that and I think you can set your browser to open links in a new page.

Mzungu
10-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah, or you can right-click and select Open Link in New Window. That's what I do sometimes.

rrocket2002
10-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I tried to re-submit the GHAC Meeting to the Calendar since the upgrade and I get the following error.

"You have attempted to use a False Admin cookie to access this site!"

Zulaab
10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Update on recent topics

Browser : Firefox 2.0.07

When editing your preferences there is an option that allows you to set what resent topics you have. *I changed mine to "all" and I now have everything and it looks like what it did before the upgrade. *I dont know if people are still having problems with IE, but I can say with firefox all is well now :)

Jesper

Zulaab
10-17-2007, 01:09 PM
I also took a minute and looked at the IE complaint about the smaller forum pages.
This looks to be a Nuke-PHP problem more than it looks to be a PHP-BB issue..
Ken I know you are extremely busy with all of this, but you may want to check the css style sheet for Nuke to display the PHP forum page.
I could be completely wrong and off on the deep end, just trying to help

Thanks
Jesper

PhishPhreek
10-17-2007, 06:02 PM
The color of the previous / next links are dificult to see on the blue header. *I know whats supposed to be there so I can get buy, but a new user may not see them.

Zulaab
10-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Hmm now I am suffering from the blue faces... *this is interesting.
Ohh well.. *I know Ken is working on it :) *
Keep smiling ;)

Tiapan
10-18-2007, 04:35 PM
i think he changed the colors to be more fishy.

Zulaab
10-18-2007, 05:24 PM
I preferred the yellow ones thought :(

ROB281
10-22-2007, 12:46 PM
is there a fix for the half pages yet?

HFBfounder
10-28-2007, 03:22 PM
The color of the previous / next links are dificult to see on the blue header. *I know whats supposed to be there so I can get buy, but a new user may not see them.

complicated fix. I did it before, now I have to remember what I did. I'll look into it though. It's annoying to me as well. :wink:

HFBfounder
10-28-2007, 03:23 PM
is there a fix for the half pages yet?

I don't know what you mean by half-pages. Can you post a screen shot?

HFBfounder
10-28-2007, 03:49 PM

complicated fix. I did it before, now I have to remember what I did. I'll look into it though. It's annoying to me as well. :wink:

fixed :emtthumbs:

Mzungu
10-29-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm still seeing the problem PP brought up about the previous/next links on the recent posts...also, the titles of attachments in posts are difficult to see as well. At least on my computer! *:)

This is what mine looks like (i.e. half screen). When I previewed this post, the screen is even smaller, probably about 50% white space on the right...

rrocket2002
10-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Oh yeah, I just took that with the grain of salt. *I thought people were having problems with half screens vertically not horizontally.

HFBfounder
10-29-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm still seeing the problem PP brought up about the previous/next links on the recent posts...also, the titles of attachments in posts are difficult to see as well. At least on my computer! *:)

This is what mine looks like (i.e. half screen). When I previewed this post, the screen is even smaller, probably about 50% white space on the right...

Aha! Thanks! I don't see this in FireFox. It seems to be something that only affects Internet Explorer. I'll try to find a fix. Thanks for the screen shot. Also, the previous/next is affected only for IE as well. I'll look into that one as well.

Mzungu
10-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Great, thanks! And thanks for everything else, you were apparently quite busy this weekend! Looks great!

eklikewhoa
10-29-2007, 10:01 AM
I was on Mike's computer over the weekend and his does that white box thing.....I figured it was whatever but after experiencing it I see why everyone is complaining....it's really distracting.

Brownsnoutuk
10-29-2007, 05:23 PM
the next button has faded again

Darbex
10-30-2007, 11:09 AM
half pages are gone *:D but the HFB image on top is gone but no more half pages

HFBfounder
10-30-2007, 11:18 AM
lol. you're quick. Yes, I fixed that, but in the process I erased our logo. *:cry: * *No problem really, I just have to wait until I get home to get the image back-up and the header.

PhishPhreek
10-30-2007, 11:55 AM
You may not think this is funny but it remindes me of when I was running the JSC TI99 users bulletin board on a 1200 baud modem. (early 80's when only the military and universities had "Internet") We were constantly tweeking the software and hardware. *Worst thing I ever did was let the users choose the color of their background and the color of their text and when they made them both the same no one could see to change it back.

Just remember no mater how much time & effort you spend making it fool proof, sooner or later you'll find a bigger fool !