Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about some light fixture

howdy, all

I am confusing. I think I heard somewhere from somebody that stated T5 and T6 fixture can either use T5 or T6 bulbs. Is this true? Did anyone try and it worked?

One more interesting thing, the Odyssea T6 HO replacement bulb is just ~$5 for each, but the T5 replacement bulb at marinedepot.com is like ~$20 at least.
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Re: questions about some light fixture

No one has any ideas. This is my first plant tank, and it is also my first planted one. So, I will need many comments from you guys. My next question is what is the maximum wpg for a moderate-high planted tank without CO2 pressurized can?
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

T5 fixtures use T5 bulbs. T6 fixtures use T6 and T8, T10, and T12 bulbs. T6s are thinner, but they have the "G13 Medium Bipin" base, which is like your normal T8, T10, T12 bulbs. Note that there are T6 bipins and T6 single pins.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Thanks for the information. I use T6 fixure from Odyssea, and their replacement bulb is just $5 for each. I saw everyone use T5, so I would try to buy one, but I need more information about its replacement bulb, is it expensive and hard to find? Which fixture are you using on your tanks, Mzungu?

Comment

Could have sworn I replied to this....

Seeing as though Odyssea has a track record of setting fire on it's own I wouldn't push it and overdrive the ballast using T5 bulbs in a T6 fixture....Most T5's are probably going to require more wattage to run so that in turn will overdrive the ballast causing it to possibly melt/set fire. If the bulbs are rated at a lesser wattage then the ballast then you will overdrive the bulbs sending them to an early grave.

As for the WPG for plants......all plants benefit from co2 and without it you limit the plants growth and health....the more plants you have the more the need rises. I would say that you can do about 70-100w over you tank but you will be limited to low light plants and it will be hit & miss with everything else. The might look alive which probably all that matters to some.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Do you mean you'll try to buy a T5 fixture? Or try to retro your T6 to fit T5s?

T5s are pretty easy to find online. If you're thinking of getting a T5 fixture, make sure it's HO (high output), there are NO (normal output) T5s and HO T5s. I haven't had a problem finding bulbs, especially since they're becoming much more popular. You could get some from light bulb warehouse-type sites, which will be much cheaper than if you buy them from an aquarium site. But luckily, if I remember correctly, you have a 48" fixture, which is good because that's a "stock" size for fluorescents, which means you won't have to pay that much. Also, you can go to sites that have retail/warehouse/office building light fixtures...a lot are using T5 HOs now, and some fixtures seem pretty good if you're willing to do a little bit of work on them (i.e. they're ceiling fixtures, so you might have to hang them...).

I'm running mostly T8, T10, T12 fixtures and power compacts. I have one metal halide and one T6 lamp that I just stuck in a normal T12 fluorescent fixture. But I am planning on getting T5s for one of my tanks at the end of the month.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I am trying to buy a T5, probably from Corolife or Current USA.

Comment

Working...
              X