LFS in Austin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LFS in Austin ?

I am going to be in Austin a couple of days next week on business and was wondering if there was a "Must See" LFS that I should check out while I'm there ?  Not looking for anything in particular.  Could use a few more inhabitants in my 46 and maybe a pair of something small to go in the 20 planted with the endlers, butterfly goodieds and platties (I'm going to have to get something for snail control in that tank before much longer - I've seen posts that say clown loaches are the way to go). Thought I'd stop somewhere on the way out of town if there was a place that was worth the effort.

Re: LFS in Austin ?

in my opinion..............best-aqua tek   2nd-amazonia. there is also a place called river city aquatics.never been there,their list looks pretty good.aqua tek always has neat stuff.lots of south american cichlids you wont see in other stores.good apisto
    selection usually.prices are a little high,but what you gonna do.have fun.

Comment

I've been to River City and it's worth the trip.  If you go there, ask to see the fish in the back,  well, actually, it's in another building, that is, unless it's changed.  It's been over a year since my last visit.  Humm, why does that sound like a confession  8O
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Yeah, river city is the place to go.Aqua tek is pretty cool but very expensive.Theres also another place down from river city off of 183 its called horizon pets off of 183 and anderson mill,its not very big but the guy there is very knowlegdeable and has some cheap prices.Stay away from amazonia its very nasty,my wife refused to go in there due to the smell.
        -C

Comment

Originally posted by szidlon";p="
          I've been to River City and it's worth the trip.  If you go there, ask to see the fish in the back,  well, actually, it's in another building, that is, unless it's changed.  It's been over a year since my last visit.  Humm, why does that sound like a confession  8O
          It's not in the back anymore.  It's on the side, and it at least doubles the amount of fish they carried just in the back.  My picks would be 1) Rivercity, 2) Aquatek, 3)  Amazonia and 4) Aquadome - but definitely hit the first 2.
          300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
          225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
          210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
          160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
          90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
          90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

Was in Austin late last week, as I said. And made the run out to Rivercity and Aquatek. Both were worth the stop on Friday before heading back to Houston. Aquatek had a much better selection of dry goods I thought and a few more freshwater fish. They had some Endlers, but only one male and the females were all very small.   Rivercity seemed to have a little friendler staff. Even after telling the salesperson I was from Houston and only looking, he still followed me around some and asked what tanks and fish I had.  Seemed to like to talk about fish, not just sale them.

Aquatek also had Clown Loaches at $10 each.  If I had been headed straight back home from Austin, I'd have gotten 2 or 3 for my 20 GAL planted tank (I'm starting to get more of a snall problem than I can handle with just picking out the larger ones from time to time).

Both places were very clean and everyone in them were freindly and helpfull.  Well worth the time to stop at eather if you are every in the Austin area.

Comment

Good thing you didn't get those clowns....after they ate the snails they would have went for your plants. Thanks for the feedback!
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
              X