Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a LARGE giraffe cat

Hi,

Well, I'm definitely not a beginner to the hobby, but I'm about to do something that I've never done before and I could use some advice.  This weekend I plan on moving my 22" Giraffe Catfish from the 150 to a 210.  He's been in the 150 since I got him and he was only about 5" at the time.  What is the best, least stressful (for me and the cat) method of moving him?  I currently don't have a net large enough, so if I need to purchase a larger net, then so be it.  But I wanted to see how others out there move their XXL fish.

Thanks!
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Re: Moving a LARGE giraffe cat

If you've got a larger ice chest just fill it with some of your existing tank water and put him in there maybe with an aerator until your ready to acclimate. My experience with these fish have always been a positive one regardless of how many times I've moved them. Their also really hardy, so I don't think you should have any issues with stress.

Good luck,
    J-WS6

Comment

I would assume that you have a ton of decorations in this tank?  What other inhabitants do you have in as well?  When we tore down Rrocket's 125 he had a few of those monster Plecos that you couldn't net.  We ended up draining most of the water out and directing him towards a bucket.  It worked ok but a larger net would be easier.

Comment

Borrow someone's pool net if you can't find one big enough, haha

Comment

Yeah, there is a lot of rock, but I'm not too worried about tearing that down.  We've got 5 Frontosa, 3 clown loaches, 1 venustus, 1 compressiceps, 1 bichir.  We're still trying to decide if everyone gets moved to the 210 or just the Giraffe Cat and the Frontosa.  If I can't find a net large enough, I'll just move everyone and do as you said...drain most of the water and use a bucket.  I hadn't thought about redirecting him to another container inside the tank.  Thanks!!
          Our Fishhouse

Comment

A pool net!!!  Hey, not a bad idea!  LOL  I've already got to go to the pool supply store for sand anyway!  haha
            Our Fishhouse

Comment

Academy would definitely have a fish net large enough for him.
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Get a fishing pole!!! Or, you can go noodling!!! lol sorry...I just had to cut in...

When are you planning on tackling this monster? You should videotape it and post it on you-tube so we can see how you did! LOL! Good luck!!

Rebekah

Comment

Noodling!!  lol

I have a feeling this is going to be too messy to have a video camera anywhere near us!  Here's how I picture it going down....

1.  Remove rocks from 150.
                  2.  Remove most of the water from the 150.
                  3.  Put net/container into 150 with Giraffe Cat
                  4.  Giraffe Cat gets wise, begins splashing water temporarily blinding me.
                  5.  I drop net/container, step back, slip on (now) wet floor, fall down.
                  6.  When I come to, I fill the 150 back up with water and rocks and leave Giraffe Cat alone in the 150.  Put icepack on head and take some advil.  

LOL!  just kidding  I'm sure it'll go fine.  I'll let you know what happens.
                  Our Fishhouse

Comment

That's about how it went with Rocket's monster Plecos.  We thought we were going to have to send Geoff into the tank in scuba gear at one point!!!  Just kidding....LOL!!!!    It's not as bad as it sounds.  The worst part is having to tear down the tank to accomplish the task at hand.

Comment

<----For me it would go like this:

1.Try to beckon fish out with treats...didn't work...
                      2.Get rocks out and try with net...still not working...
                      3.Drain some of the water and try again...stupid fish...
                      4.Reach in and get bit or kicked...
                      5.Drop rocks on fish to knock him out and then grab him...hey! It worked!

LOL! Just kidding...I really wouldn't have any idea what to do with a fish that huge though! LOL! Just try not to hurt yourself!

Rebekah

Comment

Well when you fish start biting and kicking you......you got bigger problems!!!!

Comment

if it goes down that way in your mind's eye then ohhhhhhhhh please video this for posterity......

j/k

i hope the move goes well for all involved...

Comment

Yeah...that's why I dropped the rocks...I really have to clean that imaginary tank out... LOL!

Rebekah

Comment

If it gets on video we need to show it at the GHAC meeting for our "Fish Safety Moment".....that would just be awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X