X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diy

Anybody have any diy plans for a 72 bow front stand

Re: diy

Well unless you can bend wood or buy some curved glass for doors, you aren't going to be able to build anything like the Oceanic stands.  My best guess would be to take a sheet of plywood or mdf and cut your top and bottom to mimic the footprint of your tank and then figure out something nice for the middle.

Comment

You can work with the wood to make it curve....not too sure how though...possibly soak it?

Better off just spending the money on buying one....it will look a lot nicer and dependable.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah, you have to wet the wood and bend it a little.  Then you just have to keep repeating the process until you get the shape that you want.  Its a big pain in the butt.  I have heard that there is a fairly flexible type of plywood that you can use to make curved doors and stuff but I have never seen it in your regular Lowes or Home Depots.

I agree with EK....just spend the money and get something that someone else made.  It usually looks nicer than anything homemade in the end.

Comment

Theres a way to curve plywood that a friend of mine showed me.  You have to have a table saw or else be really good with a circular saw.  adjust the table saw blade height so that it cuts almost to the top of the plywood (or whatever your using) but leave atleast 3/16 of the depth uncut.  Run parallel lines the length of the wood.  The more parallel lines you cut the easier it is going to be to bend/curve the wood without breaking.  You should not soak the wood as this is going to cause it to expand and possibly warp.  

Good luck and post a pic after your done.

Riaz

Comment

Another way is to buy 1/4"  or 3/16" WOOD paneling. Cut 8" +/- wide strips, wet with glue , curve to shape, clamp in position until glue cures. Then cut ends and side to desired size.

Comment

Working...
            X