DIY pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY pond

is this too small ? does it have everything I need ?

pond kit
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: DIY pond

it sounds like it has everything you need, but my questions is whether or not that liner is hard or soft, i hear good and bad about both, if its hard then thats a great size pond, if its softh then its much smaller. so thats something to consider. but doesnt Seem like a bad deal.
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I think it's just the plain soft liner for that price...... makes for a shallow pond.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I don't think it includes the hole.

max

Comment

Originally posted by guppymax";p="
          I don't think it includes the hole.

max
          8O

Max, I must be tired.  It took me about 30 seconds to realize that was a joke.  LOL

I'm like "Hole"?  What Hole?  

Raul
          Raul
          PokerFace

Comment

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Good one Max.   You will need a U.V. for the algea. Unless you like green water.
              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

10 x 13 is really not a very large liner.  If you have fish (as opposed to just a water garden) you'll need it at least 24-30 inches deep unless you want to have to relocate them indoors for the winter or run heaters in it.  Shallow ponds also make great 'pickin ponds' for herons - which are plentiful here in the houston area.  Not to mention racoons, possums and even your own furry felines may make a dinner of your pond inhabitants if they can't dive to a deep bottom to hide.  

With a 10x13 liner, and a 24' deep pond, that means that final size would be 10' minus 4' (2' for each side's wall) minus another 1' (which allows for a 6" overlap you'll likely use over the pond's edge). and 13' minus 4' minus 1' for a total of a 5' x 8' surface area.  That's one foot wider than a standard sheet of plywood.

Other than that it sounds like a good kit.  I would look to use a larger liner, or to get additional liner to seam onto the one it comes with.  Most pond kits have 20mil liners - not very thick.   Thicker are more expensive, especially a nice 45 mil epdm rubber liner.
                The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

yeah i have heard some plants will grow through a thin liner, that ever happened to anyone here? im thinkin of gettin a preformed hard 125 pond (i know its small but i live in apartment now) to put on my patio. anyone use one of those here either.?
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President

Comment

We had one of those above-ground swimming pools and at one point we had some kind of grass (forgot what it was called) growing through the liner in a few places. Those liners are pretty thick too! Maybe if it was a darker liner it wouldn't have happened, but that would have made for a pretty drab looking pool! LOL!

Rebekah

Comment

Those preformed ponds will work fine....I had a kiddie pool which was made of liner that I even lined underneath it and plants would work their way through.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

you can just never beat that tropical sun. i mean plants grow through cement and ashpalt why not plastic.
                        Never fear I is here
                        David Abeles
                        Vice President

Comment

Bigger is always better. My finished size is 5X9X3deep; I think my liner is 15 X 20.
                          No problems after 8yr. My leak problems have been in my 40' "creek".
                          Re; Max's comment, If you have a shovel ,you don't need to buy a hole.
                          My materials list included cinder blocks (to steepen the sides) , 3/4" foam sheathing and carpet (to protect the liner from the cinder block and the flagstone al around the top).

Comment

Hello,

I'm "imagirlgeek's husband and have an aquascape business building ponds, water gardens and custom fountains. I used this same kit for one of my ponds at my home. It has a 35 mil. liner and is more than adequate for a 2 ft deep 5x10 Koi pond. I can give you the name and number of an experienced and reasonably priced crew (my crew) for digging the pond if you want someone to do this for you. The key is to place the pond in a place where it is not in direct sunlight for more than 6 hours a day. Koi will eat the algae and the filter needs to be cleaned about every 6 weeks.

I just finished a 3900 gal pond using a 45 mil rubber liner. As long as the liner is not exposed to direct sunlight all day, the liner should hold for at least 10 years.

What you need to do is place the pond in a partially shaded area or put shade trees with no root system like palms or banana trees around it for shade. The right liner and a sand base will keep roots from penetrating the liner. On the inside of the pond, you should use gravel. I use pea gravel. The gravel protects the liner from the sun, collects good bacteria and the algae grows on it for easy feeding for your koi.

For the winter, you should build a cave in the bottom of the pond for the fish to hide in and don't feed them (drawing them out) during the couple of cold months we have in Houston.

Also add a few plants to the pond. Plant them in small plastic containers. This will help with the water quality.

Sand is $7 per bag and pea gravel is $7 per bag at Alamo Stone. Just wash the gravel before adding to the pond. They also have great prices on different stone for your decorative features.

Hope this helps,
                            ImaGuyGeek
                            All men are created equal but his choices determine his value and what's in his heart determines his worth.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Comment

sure you didn't put that pond at the wrong address.   don't see it anywhere in my yard  LOL    definitely will go BIG on a pond one day.   thanks for the tips.   Virginia
                              "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
                              "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
                              -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

Working...
                              X