Breeding rack.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding rack.....

I am starting up a breeding rack for my small fish/invert breeding....Initially I though I could run AC/20's on the 5.5g but it is way too much current for my purposes and it also cause a problem cause I have to pre-filter the intake tube so I am going to go with sponge filters for the smaller tanks and keep the HOB's for the 10g grow out tanks.

Right now I plan on running about 10-5.5g tanks, 4-10g tanks and possibly a 30g but I don't want to have like 10 air pumps so I am going to look into the large luft pumps and manifold it off to all the tanks like some LFS do. I wanted to know which one would be a good one to get that is dependable and as quiet as can be since this will be for inside the house.

Pictures or links would be great!

Just a teaser but here are some of the things I plan to breed on this rack

S+/SS Hinomaru Crystal red shrimp
    Red Cherry shrimp
    Yellow shrimp
    Albino Blue neon guppies
    Albino Red snakeskin guppies
    All Black guppies
    Swallowtail guppies
    Apistogramma trifasiata
    Celestial Pearl Danios
    Multifasciatus
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Re: Breeding rack.....

i would try www.aquaticeco.com    if you dont find something you think will work,call them.

Comment

between all the normal airpumps available at say chain or local stores i prefer the hagen series, have always found them quiet. and the optima puts out a lot of air from one tube, works great with a gang valve for spliting to multiple lines. the other option depending on how many levels but it might be better to have one pump per level of the rack. just an idea. but you should be able to get a good price for pumps online. and just so you know petsmart will price match petsmart.com, you would be surprised how much difference there can be sometimes.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Well I was looking more towards those commercial looking Air pumps/blowers, something I can run the whole rack and some with so that there will be minimal wires/sockets/pumps/space taken up/etc.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i have never really heard a quiet one of those, cus they are ment for such a large output of air, they arent the rubber diaphram usually they are just high powered fans, so much more noise.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President

Comment

i remmember how loud the one was at aquamart back in the day, could almost hear it all the way at the front and it was in the back, it faded in as background noise behind the bubbling water, but either way it wasnt quiet.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President

Comment

!st time I installed a blower it was way to loud - bought the silencer / inlet filter and it was still too loud.  Currently mine is mounted in the attic witt a 1.5" pvc pipe coming through the ceiling.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Well what about a lift/luft pump?

Those are ... from what I read on the description, magnetic piston pump 2.3 cfm/ 3.9 psi.

Coralife makes it and it shows to be made for multiple tanks and the like.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

havent used or seen those in use, so cant tell you personally, might want to ask a shop like fishgallery if they use anything similar and you could go hear it in action.
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President

Comment

but if you are only gonne have like 8 5gallons and a few tens, then 2 or 3 optimas should cover it and save a lot of funds cus that pump doesnt sound cheap.
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President

Comment

Yeah that's why I started this thread....in hopes of someone having had used something similar in their fishroom.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I used the Silent Giants untill they were prised out of the market
                        then I used Supreme Dynamaster dual Piston Air Pumps because they were good for a lot of tanks 10 - 12 maybe more.
                        I sold 2 of them at the last HAS auction.  parts are still available but you may have to shop around to find one
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Ek,

I don't remember how much a Luft pump costs, but look at this site.  Free shipping.  This is like what I'm gonna get around march next year.

Shop over 1500 septic system parts online. Lowest prices guaranteed on everything from septic pumps, risers, covers & more. Free Same Day Shipping Available!

You can run this through PVC and run outlets to your tanks.

Raul
                          Raul
                          PokerFace

Comment

Well, I am looking at the coralife luft pump which is only $50 and pushes 2.3 cfm/ 3.9 psi. I think that might be enough for what I am wanting but will probably run two of them.

Thanks for the links everyone.

Also will be running fluorescent shop T-8 lighting (got the hook up!) over these tanks and hopefully I will find a rack for the tanks today.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Anybody know what this cfm and mumbo jumbo equates to?
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X