VERY IMPORTANT DILEMMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY IMPORTANT DILEMMA

Hi guys, there are some things I want to share with everyone. Over the past couple of weeks we've been getting attacked by redirect bots which are spoofing random IP addresses. Some of you have been blocked from using the site, and some of you have been blocked over and over again. I apologize for that and I try to clear out the blocked table once a day, but don't always get to it. Unfortunately, our security system is working as intended by blocking you, because the IP reported is yours. In order to stop those blocks, I've disabled a portion of the security system, so that I allow those redirects to go through. Unfortunately, that also comes at a cost, which is increased bandwidth, CPU time, etc. This only exacerbates our "growing" problem, if that is a problem... :)

Even before this, the site was exploding. We are averaging 654 unique users per day, and over 10,000 hits per day this past month. Now, today I got this:

Dear Client,
    I am writing to inform you that the combined resources of your
    houstonfishbox.com account are too high for a shared server environment. In
    a shared hosting environment, you share processor and memory usage with
    other clients on the server but your account is consistently using more than
    it's fair share of resources. As a result, we require that you upgrade to a
    hosting package that comes with more resources, namely our semi-dedicated
    hosting package or our dedicated hosting package.
    Please make a decision on which package you'd like to upgrade to and get
    back to me within 24 hours, otherwise we'll be forced to suspend your
    account. Once you have decided which package to upgrade to, we will migrate
    your account for you with minimum hassle and downtime.
    The new options are relatively pricey compared to what it has been, but I'm going to take care of it because I believe in this site and what it brings to the community.

What I would like to do is create a finance committee. I'm not really interested in making money, but I'm not all that interested in losing money either and I just don't have the time necessary to solicit funding in any meaningful way. So, If you have what it takes and are willing to solicit sponsors and/or donations every month, please apply. I will be creating offices and promoting certain people based on their contributions to our site.

For those of you that have donated, THANK YOU! You have made it easy to keep this site going for all this time and for a few more months!!

Sincerely, ken

Re: VERY IMPORTANT DILEMMA

Is it totally out of the question to have this site have a small monthly membership fee?  I know your heart is in the right place by avoiding it for all this time, but even a few bucks a month from all the members should cover most of the costs and lift some of the burden off of your shoulders.  We have close to a 1000 members on this site and a good chunk of those who post on more than regular basis.  I don't know what your running costs are to keep the site running but I'm sure all the die hards wouldn't mind dipping into their monthly fish allowance to help out.

Just a thought.

Comment

Well, I'm not that knowledgeable in sales ..but i promote the Fishbox every day....do i want to take on a challenge of raising funds....i would love to help in anyway i can....have i made a contribution on the site...no not personally....but cichlidfan and i usually rely on the people that we have dealings with to donate for us....as we ask them to do with extra cash that is given in transactions....nevertheless....i think all the fishbox members at our last meeting at mikes' discussed t-shirts for the box....and the like...i don't think you'll have a problem with any of us not being willing to give to keep our fantastic box going...we've all voiced that before to you i think when the site went down a couple of times....but ken....i am certain that you'll have what you want from us in no time flat.....and like i said...i'm willing to go door to door to pick up sponsors and supporters for our box....

Fishlady.....

Comment

Well, count me in for regular support, one more little bill aint going to matter much......

I would like to mention again, that I would be willing to purchase several Tshirts and polo shirts, baseball caps, whatever, if they become available, besides giving on a monthly basis.

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Is there a way to donate other than using PayPal?

Comment

Good Point Scooby,

I do not like to use paypal, I would prefer to use online bill pay.

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I third that....i hate to use paypal....set up an address for us to send payments and i would love to use my online bill pay too....

fishlady....

Comment

I would like an address where we could mail in money orders or checks.  Or maybe a place where we could give donations in person, like a fish store checkout or something.  That way there are more options to donate than just online.

Comment

Know nothing of $ cost for site.    Willing to help get sponsors &/or raise monies.   Need a clearer picture on the Box's needs.    For sponsors there must be set amount[s] .

IDEAS---  

Advertising from area businesses not just fishy business?   Give them some exposure in the Sponsor scroll [logo / business card?]since most of Boxers are local.     May even bring more fishy people in.     I know of a few that may be interested & could use another advertising writeoff.

This is a very good time to approach businesses w/ the year end on the way and before holidays get any closer.

Definitely a diverse group here.  Bet others can think of a business that may be intertested.  

Please update .   V
                  "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
                  "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
                  -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

I think if there was a $ amount that needed to be met it would help us out. If there is no intention of profiting then I wouldn't see a reason why to withhold the info.

I think if it was a feasible amount the members here could donate to support  the site.

With the paypal thing I believe you can hit the donate button and just fill out the left portion of the page if you don't have paypal. If that doesn't work I know with paypal you can request money to be paid and then you could just pay with CC.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What issues does everyone have with Paypal......it's easy.  I can't remember the last time that I mailed a check to anyone.  Plus on Ken's end, he would have to more than likely pay for another service to accept payments and all of that which would then increase his running costs more.

Comment

I think the fact that if something goes wrong Paypal will freeze whatever account it is linked to.

At least that was my problem with Paypal......but I ended up setting up another back account for that.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It's not that I have a problem with PayPal, it's just that I would like other options to donate than online only.  Not everyone has Bank accounts or a CC.

Comment

I can't see how anyone lives in this day and age without a bank account but to each their own I guess.

Comment

let's stay on the subject of keeping the site going and raising monies...not how the monies get to ken okie dokie???......i vote for t-shirts, polo shirts, caps, mugs, fishbags.....the like...pencils, pens, buttons, just about everything.....we can do it.....the more ordered the bigger the discount in most venues......so let's get crackin on this....

together we stand......

Comment

Working...
                              X