Has anyone been using Odyssea T6 lighting system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone been using Odyssea T6 lighting system

Hi, I am inexperienced in planted tank light. I am about to order this kind of fixture, so all of your stories are welcome
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Re: Has anyone been using Odyssea T6 lighting system

I stayed away from Odyssea fixtures because of all the poor reviews on the,m, and the bad reviews aquatraders.com has for customer service.

So, I just figured that if I had a problem, I would just end up having to eat it and not get anything fixed.

They're prices are really cheap, about a third of the others, but you get what you pay for.

I have a couple friends who have been using Odyssea fixtures, that have not had a problem with them, in the 6 months they have owned them.

Who know what will happen at the end of that 1 year warranty though..

Best of luck!!

Geoff
    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thanks. I have 75gal cichlid tank at my work place, it has been using the Odyssea 96W PC for more than 1 year, 10hr/day, and still worked fine. Also, I have a friend that owned a LFS, he used most of equipment by Odyssea (probably because they are cheaper).

The price difference is worth the try.
      100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
      30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

Let us know how it turns out......have you thought about replacement bulbs? I have never seen T6 bulbs anywhere, other then aquatraders that is.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Big Al's has some, I ordered a couple and I like them! What's GREAT about T6s is that most can be put into a normal T8 or T12 fixture, so you don't have to get a new one.  

And I know that someone here recently ordered this fixture, but we haven't heard back with reviews yet, that I know of. I'll try to find that thread.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I just posted in it, but here's the thread:
            HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

YEAH, THE 48'' ODYSSEA IN THAT THREAD IS EXACTLY THE ONE THAT I AM GONNA TO BUY TOMORROW, EXCEPT THAT I DON'T HAVE TO PAY THE SHIPPING. LOL

SURE, EK. I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW HOW IT WORKED OUT IN MY TANK.

Comment

I strongly reccommend not getting Odessea T5. I had both a 48" and a 30" fail;the distributer would not warrentee (about 3 months old. )
                The sharp ends of the aluminium reflector cut through the wimpy 20ga wire insulation going to the built in electronic ballasts, burning out the ballasts
                I do have some like new T5 bulbs for sale.

Comment

Guys, I had just bought that fixture. The light's output is not bad. It is very bright for 78W (a 39W 12k and a 39W pink).

I did not use the legs at first, and put it directly on the glass top. After 5 hours, I checked, and it surprises me how hot the glass is. Honestly, I did not think T6 will produce any heat (at least I have read it once somewhere). But now I just installed the legs for security. So far, it looks good.

I am extremely careful when using this fixture. I have read all the bab review about Odyssea, but because of financial difficulty, I decided trial and error. When the lights are lit, I put the nose close to the fixture, and I smell something like plastic melting. Very slightly though. However, I did not smell it from far (more than 1 inch distance) Can someone tell me if this is normal for T6, or it is a symptom of will-fire-fixture?

Comment

My T5 setup does not get as hot and I could grab it if I wanted without burning me opposed to my PC fixtures.

With the burnt smell I would only keep the lights on when I am at home to keep an eye on it and unplug it otherwise for the first couple of days just to be on the safe side.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have had no problems for now great on my plants didn't have any co2 and the light still did his part. the guy i bought form lives here in houston went and picked it up myself    saved some money well kinda w/ the gas prices back then and now

Comment

oh yeah about the smell it's just for a while maybe 1 week tops :?

Comment

The light works very well, but it still does not seem to be enough for my plants. I saw the improvement in the quantity of leaves, but brown algea keeps growing. In addtion, the water is much more cloudy compare to when I did not have this T6. I did not run the pressurized CO2, used Leaf Zone to supply photosynthesis. Now, I will try to buy another T5, hum, 36-48'' dual bulb. Anybody have extra one to sell to me?

Comment

Working...
                          X