No announcement yet.

CARBO-PLUS Electrolysis CO2 System????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARBO-PLUS Electrolysis CO2 System????

Has anyone used or heard anything good bad or indifferent about this CO2 system.  It seems almost too good to be true.  Also, if anyone has used this system, how long do the carbon bars last that work with the system?

Thanks for any information as always.

Re: CARBO-PLUS Electrolysis CO2 System????

For the price I would go with traditional pressurized.

From what I have read the co2 produced is low and the plate breaks away....think the last a few months but and replacing that block will be more expensive then filling a bottle which last forever anyways.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah, the new bars are about $40 online from what I have seen.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I have the same opinion of the system as EK mentioned. I have also read that the CO2 production is very inconsistent and hard to control the amount produced. In my opinion it would also look ugly in a nicely scaped tank.
        Checkout my blog AquaMusing
        sigpic

Comment

I have heard nothing but bad things about this system.  :)  I remember reading a particularly detailed review...I'll try to find it.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Google it.....I found a whole webpage with reviews about it.....
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The main reason that I was asking is that Aqua Zoo has one in stock.  The other reason that I was interested was because it just looked really simple but I didn't know if it's simplicity might be it's downfall.

The other system that I found was made by RED SEA (CO2 Pro System)and it was a complete set up with regulator, diffuser, solenoid....the works for about $165.  They make one for a regular bottle as well as a paintball type bottle.

Thanks once again for any information that you guys can provide.

Comment

I have 9 of the carbo plus units and they work great for me. I also have a pressurized unit with a ph controller. The pressurized unit with ph controller works better, but for folks who do not want to have pressurized bottles in the home the carbo plus works very well.
                The carbon plate can be replaced and it cheaper than replacing the whole sandwich as I call it, just takes a few minutes to clean the holder and slide in a new carbon plate... the piece lasts longer in water with a low tds than it does in untreated city water.. each system has its trade offs, presurized costs less to run, the carbo plus is simpler to use... it would be a matter of what is driving your choice.... I forgot what village has changed their name to, but they sell them as well... you can talk to steve over there, he uses them at home as well...
                whether or not I would recommend one would depend on the application and the personality of the person I was taking too,,,, the fact that I have multiples and have had nothing but good luck with them may be a fluke, but it has been my experience.
                GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Wow....9 of them tells me great things.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Interesting.

Found the review I was thinking about, it's the one with the pictures.

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

if this picture thing works you can see my office tank, a 37 gallon tank using a carbo plus
                      it is perfect for an office no tanks, lines, controls... just hooked in with my lighting timer

Comment

Have you ever tested for co2 in your tank Obed? Just wondering how much co2 that thing really produces.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

actually I go up or down on the setting by how the plants look, if they are healthy and full of color, I figure the level is right.... your getting the same kind of results with a ph monitor and pressurized system, you are not directly monitoring the co2 then either...
                          different folks use timers and ph monitors, not aware of a monitor system that actually monitors co2, just testers that give percentage levels and then you figure from there what you need to do, I figure the plants do that for me....
                          some folks try to way over complicate a pretty simple process, truth is if your substate is good and your lighting is good, you do not need co2 unless you are going heavy into bunch plants and plants with reds, then you will see a noticable difference, but with broad leafs (while the greens are IMO richer) a lot of folks can not tell the difference with or with out co2... i just use co2, both carbo plus and pressurized systems cause I like spending money....
                          in other words plants are a better judge of proper co2 level than testers...

Comment

Yes, I use Carboplus in my 3 office tanks (not allowed to have pressurized gas canisters in the office). It's not great, but it works. However, it does mess with your kH levels, so you have to look out for that. Generally I would go with a canister system unless you are working with a small amount of space, or some other consideration.

Pic below is 55g in the office, with carboplus, and 3wpg lighting. Tank needed a trim that day :)

Comment

I have a Carbo Plus unit that may or may not work, for free, in case anyone wants to canibalize for parts.

NW Houston, near Willowbrook Mall. PM me and I'll set it on the porch for you any day you can come by.

Ann V

Comment

Working...
                              X