Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY-HOB Filters

Hey folks,

Does anyone know how to do this? I have read some references but no good details.

Thanks!!

Re: DIY-HOB Filters

Smaller boxes use 1/8"
    ACRYLIC SHEETS - CAST - Plexiglass
    Larger boxes use ¼”
    ACRYLIC SHEETS - EXTRUDED - Plexiglass

Order them precut plexiglass panels from  http://www.professionalplastics.com

Takes about 10 minutes to mask the parts and about 2 minutes to bond them together.  If there are no initial leaks you can have them ready to go in about 35 minutes providing you do not get carried away with the cement.

To Join Sheets
    Tap Acrylic Cement     <----------------------  Use this one to bond the Sheets together
    To Patch any leaks
    IPS Weld-On 16 Cement   <--------------  Use this one to fix any spots you may have missed.          
    available from http://www.tapplastics.com

Local supplier  (713) 462-8021
    Aero Shield Plastics Incorporated
    12131 Sowden Rd
    Houston, TX
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

in my opinion thats a cool idea, but the truth is that they are much cheaper to purchase from a large distributor, at least for motor considerations, i guess if you had several crack on you and you still had the motors for them then it might be a good idea. but too much time and effort for a little saved cash, thats time i could be making more working, thats the trade off. good thing i love my job.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

and dont get me wrong i love love love DIY, im also a big survivalist fan, (not about holein up in the mountains tryin to overthrow, but about being able to get myself and others out of a tight spot, or just being able to not starve, cus goodness knows i will eat just about anything )
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President

Comment

Let me rephrase myself, I am talking about the replacement media filters not the actual mechanical filters.

Sorry...

Comment

yes i am also interested about knowing cheaper sources of replacement media
            65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
            55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
            30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

oh i just always use filter pads. you know the blue one side and white the other. you can just tie it arounda frame of just about anything. that is even if i have a filter catridge there at all.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President

Comment

Do you put any carbon, substrate, etc, in the homemade filters?

Comment

You can use anything for media......

Mesh dish washing sponges, Lava rock, crushed coral for cichlid tanks, basically anything that is really porous will host lots of beneficial bacteria.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

and anything that is fibrous will catch small particles that you may want out of the tank.
                    Never fear I is here
                    David Abeles
                    Vice President

Comment

Working...
                    X