fish pond inhabitants question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fish pond inhabitants question

Just curiuos,  if I had a fish pond in the backyard.  What could I put in it instead of the typical goldfish, koi, etc.  I was thinkin like arrowana, red belly pacu, redtail cat, stuff like that.  some monsterfish.  I know its possible cause the Dallas Aquarium has an outside exhibit when you walkin to the front door that has arrowana in it.  They also have an outdoor cichlid tank too that had some i think tang lake cichlids but dont remember.  Anyways,  does anyone here have that type of stuff and if so, share info.  Im curious.  I love monsterfish but dont have room for big aquarium to house them.  I do however have a rather large yard for a nice pond.  LOL.  I realize that in the winter I would probably have to house them indoors but thats not a problem.  I was thinking a big water trough in the garage and Id be set.  Anyways,  just curiuos.  please share your input and knowledge.

Re: fish pond inhabitants question

When I was younger I did a pond out of one of the larger collapsing swimming pool and I have tons of things that aren't normally found to be in a pond.....

Clown Knife
    Plecos
    Red Jewels
    Convicts
    Black mollies
    Flounders
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You are very close to tropical climate here.  If you are putting in a big pond with plenty of water movement you should be fine in the late March through October months.  The main thing is to watch the temp changes through a 24hr period, the water should not change more than a couple of degrees this causes stress.  Of-course in the winter you will need to protect them..  Remember there are predators (birds and animals) that would love to each your fish.

Good Luck, would love to see pictures.
      Bruce

Comment

just curious, how do you protect outdoor ponds in winter?  are there special heaters/covers?
        65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
        55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
        30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

i heard of people building a greenhouse like cover over the tank for winter to radiate heat but i dont knw.  i figured id pull them out and put them in a trough in the garage durin the winter.  I think itd be cool to have some arrowanas, redtail catfish, and maybe some big pacu or sometihng. lol.

Comment

They have a set up like that at Fish and Pet's Unlimited on Bissonett in the store.  It's basically a big dumping ground for fish that have outgrown tanks.  I'm sure it could be done as long as you are building something over it to protect it and keep your temps constant.  The guy there basically has the thick black plastic built into a large frame.  Good water movement and a ton of large fish like you describe.

Comment

yeah.  its inside?  i gotta go see that.  is that the one with the arowanas you can feed mice too???

Comment

Mike had a pond like set up for his monster fish.......problem with arowanas is keeping them in though, in the wild they jump out of water to catch their meals so that might be a problem.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Airport....yeah that's the one.

Comment

nice. gotta checkit OUT.

Comment

Working...
                    X