Quick Wattage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Wattage Question

When a light's description says something like, '30 watts, equivalent to 120 watts,' what exactly does that mean? I see this a lot on compact fluorescent packages. But for lighting a fish tank, should you assume that it's 30 watts or 120 watts? I think this is in comparison to incandescents, but since those aren't really used much anymore in planted tanks I don't know what would be recommended.

Thanks for any info!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Quick Wattage Question

I'm not sure, but I would guess it's meaning is 30 watts with the benefit of more, just lower operating cost?

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I think it refers to the brightness if you are looking at the household bulbs but for aquatic use I would go with the actual wattage usage.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Okay, thanks.  :)
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Used in refference to flourescent ( Mercury Vapor or Metal Halide) bulbs that have been configured to fit into incandescent sockets.
          Lower number indicates actual power required
          higher number refers to the size incandescent bulb it would take to produce an equivelent amount of light.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
            I think it refers to the brightness if you are looking at the household bulbs but for aquatic use I would go with the actual wattage usage.
            Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
            Lower number indicates actual power required
            higher number refers to the size incandescent bulb it would take to produce an equivelent amount of light.
            So which way do I go, George?
            Painting the world with drool and poop since 2007! ~ Papa Greg

Comment

Working...
            X