Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 2 trios of healthy platties

Hi there:)

Sounds silly, but so many of the stores have sickly fish, when I was kid platties were the hardiest thing around and now I'm hard pressed to find some nice ones. I'm looking for a trio to go in the 20g heavily planted tank in my boss's office, they'll be the only fish in there, along with some amano shrimp. I'm looking for another trio to put in my 70g planted with some tetras. Just looking for splashes of color really among all the plants. If anyone knows where I can source a couple of healthy strain trios, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Naomi.

Re: Looking for 2 trios of healthy platties

If you find some let me know!

I have been looking for the nice wagtail ones or even anything odd or out of the ordinary....none of those green or "blues" either cause those look kinda weird.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

u r so right, its hard to find nice strong or even the "normal" platies anymore, when i used to keep fish as a kid, platy's were my staple - the only one's that i would actually be able to keep/breed, except for blue gouramis, for some reason i had this pair that would always try to spawn, but never really got to the fries, i was not patient and then i didn't keep fish for so long (had a 12 year break almost), ok now i am completely off topic and making myself sound old, but since i typed, i will post

i love the plain bright red platy's with black tail/fins
      65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
      55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
      30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

I'm glad (but sad) to hear I'm not the only one having a hard time finding some... Will keep looking...

Comment

I sold some red wag tails at the last HLA auction. Who would ever think to look there?

max

Comment

Yeah, I'm steadily thinking to myself....."man I saw some at the auction".

I didn't have any plans on having a livebearer tank at the time of the auction but the next one I will be ready!!!
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well I didn't know there was an HLA auction since I'm new to this site - if you have anymore Max I would be interested....

Comment

Yeah Max, what do you have in that fish hatchery of yours??? I would love to purchase some local bred/raised live bearers!
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have some orange, marigold & red wag available, But it's a long drive down here to Texas City.
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Our next auction isn't until spring and the HLA is still looking for a new location for a big auction. I am pretty far out here between Crosby and Dayton. Its been a while since we had a meeting. Maybe we could have a little mini auction at Fish Ranch II sometime soon. They ususally have a really good selection of fish and give us a discount at the meeting. I will talk to Charles next week about meeting there.

max

Comment

Sounds like a plan Max!!!

PP, that is a bit of a drive
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yep !
                        It's 100 mile round trip to our meeting at FRII
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

It is a bit of a drive for me too but we all get to visit when we get there. Maybe we all need to move closer together LOL? I could sell everyone an acre of land. Well I would run out of acres pretty fast but there is more land around here. We could just meet here in cyberspace but its just not real. There is something missing. Driving the school bus is a lot of fun but I need some excuse for a life outside of my job.

max

Comment

Maybe you can drive the school bus and pick everyone up!  :wink:  :bsjoke:

Rebekah

Comment

Hey there... I just found some red and black platys at Petco at 45 and cypresswood (on the southbound side)  I bought three, put in a tank with some neons and *poof* the male is dead 2 hours later.  The tank had been running with  a seasoned filter and everyone else seems to like the environment.  It was the only male they had.  I guess more platys will not be happening.  They have them...but they are all females.  I guess I will go back tomorrow for my $1.69 refund lol. OR if another one bites the dust, I am going to take them too.  Don't worry, the neons were new too (had an empty tank and it was killing me lol)  So this IS an isolation tank ;-)
                              5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                              20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                              29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                              29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                              29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                              55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                              75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                              / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Working...
                              X