feeding Ocats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeding Ocats

well, as some of you might know from my other posts, i have 3 otto's now, when they first came into my tank last week, they had enough algae to eat, now i feel like they are not finding as much algae (it might be my imagination), either way, i want to make sure they are not starving because i noticed they don't take any of the flake/pellet/dried bloodworm that my other fish gobble up like there is no tomorrow, so the question is, what else can i give my ottos so that they don't starve, i have read some about algae wafers and lettuce

so if i buy some algae wafers, will they find them if i drop them anywhere in the tank or do i have to do something specific to get them to find it?

if i do lettuce, do i just chop up a few pieces and drop them in the tank?  

Ek, you have talked about NLS foods in general in some other thread, where can i find them and where are they the cheapest, i don't have that much fish, so i don't need a whole lot, just small amounts
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Re: feeding Ocats

I try to always drop wafers in the same vicinity.  they'll find them  :)

I've found my longfin baby bn's who love the tetramin variety wafers will find them no matter where i drop them, so Iscatter them around.  This way the kuhliis, cories and bristlenoses can all munch without fighting over them.  I have seen the bn's actually scuffle over a single wafer before - silly since at the time they were only about 1.5" long and there were more wafers all around them!
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

What are the other fish in the tank?

With my bottom feeders I try and make note of their favorite laying spots and try to steer the food as close as I can to that. Also make sure you read the ingredients of the food cause most foods that are labeled "veggie/algae" wafers has the greens listed almost last and the main ingredients are fillers and reject meats.

Ones I have used and would recommend is HBH veggie rounds and NLS h20 wafers....the NLS is suppose to not spoil for at least 24hrs after being put in so it is a plus for slow feeders.

I bought mine at Fish Galler I believe.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i don't have any other bottom feeders, the ocats don't seem to have a specific spot they prefer, they go all over, hang on the tank walls, leafs, stems, rocks, not so much on the bogwood (or at least i have not noticed that), i guess i will look for NLG h20 since i only need small amounts for 3 ocats, and then try to find a spot i think they are most likely to hang out or at least drive by - hehe

live and let live

Comment

Mine clean the glass when the light is off but when the light is on, they stay on the bottom doing a good job of cleaning plant leaves & making my large driftwood a bit smaller every day.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Hey.....wait a minute here....what the heck is an Ocat and or Otto ?   :?

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Otocinclus.....tiny algae eaters that are probably one of the best.

finfan....I would just try and feed a tiny bit extra in your tank or try some blanched spinach or zucchini.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

CF - check this out for ocats

Otocinclus, also known as dwarf suckers, or otos, are algae-eating, reclusive catfish species.They are a perfect addition to a community aquarium.

live and let live

Comment

will do, never threw squash in the aquarium, would be interesting to see who else gets interested  

live and let live

Comment

Oooohhhhhh.....that's what those little buggers are......I have a couple of them......thanks for clearing that up.

CF
                    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

ok 2 of my 3 ocats go all over the tank and they always seem to be eating off of my plants, rocks, bogwood the other one is always hanging on to the tank wall and does not seem to eat much or go around like the other two, i can't even find the other two sometimes, but when i see them they just seem more active, i don't see any external sign of illness on this stupid one, but i was just wondering if it means anything, i will get those algae wafers today

live and let live

Comment

I have had two ottos, both disappeared....I think my angels ate him... I had the small waffers and all you do is just drop them in and let then dissolve.

Comment

Well.. I find that they are more nocturnal, so it's not uncommon not to see them feeding in the day.
                          Try some zucchini ... it might get their attention.
                          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

thats a good idea, i might try zucchini, ill let you guys know if that helps

live and let live

Comment

I have an Otto myself who has NOTHING to do with any wafers I have tried to give him.  I drop them in and he never even goes around them.  What kind of wafers are your ottos eating so I can try those ones?

Comment

Working...
                              X