need a help identifyin a fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a help identifyin a fish

hey i need to know what kinda fish this is.  i dont have a pic but cant remember the exact name and or common name.

It is a yellow and black striped scavengar.  gets pretty good sized, and the name i wanna say was something like leoparness or something witht that.  but i cant rmember or fid what im lookin for.   please help.

Re: need a help identifyin a fish

ok.  man after like 2 days of searchin.  i found it.   http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/leporinus.php

now i know they get big cause my neighbor has one in his 75 im gettin.  hes had it for like 8 yrs and is about 10 inches.  what does anyone knowledge of them.  like personal experience not just readin an article??

could he go with some severum or some jack dempsys??

Comment

I would think it would be safe to try the mix you speak of. I have never had one of these myself, but I have seen them around in the LFS. Like every other new comer to a community tank, I would mix up the aquascaping a bit and feed the tank residents some before adding this new guy/s.
      Keep an eye on the tank and watch how he is greeted by the others. If no one jumps on him, or vise versa, it may work out.

My thinking is "try it and see" . The worst thing that could happen is someone could eat him..... :)
      Seriously, sometimes two fish who start fighting right off the bat, end up ignoring one another an hour later..... It's always a good idea to watch your tank for a while after adding new blood to the mix.

Good Luck....

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

they tend to do well with larger southamericans, but can sometimes nip at fins if they are longer. but they are definately a cool fish. but yeah they do get pretty large. there are some big ones in Fish Gallery's display and at other stores too. as long as they are fed enough they are a little tamer.
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I was just gonna saw fin nipper.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I don't like fin nippers, we just shipped those guys off to the LFS, and say bye bye.

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I thump them
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yeah.  my neighbor has had everfything from angles. to a few discus i think and someother stuff with him.  he said that he has never attacked anyone but if a fish dies he will eat him.  but all mine do that.  lol.  i looked atlittle and they are both from about the same area,  the severum and the leporinus.  plus my severum are big.  the dempseys are gettin there but i think they are way to fast for the leporinus to catch.  hes slow and laazy.

Comment

I'd be concerned for the Lep and Sevs. JDs got that name for a reason.

Comment

I had Leprinos before.  I had a SA tank with JD, Severum, Red Devils, Scats, Catfish and many others.  I got them small and grew them out.  They are cool if you got the space for them.

Raul
                    Raul
                    PokerFace

Comment

I say no for the severum but yes for the jack dempsey (and other similar fish).  I had one and it nipped the fins of the severum, stressing him out.  They need tankmates that can put up with that type of behavior.
                      58G Malawis
                      10G planted

Comment

I agree, the JD and the Leps should be fine together.

Comment

Working...
                        X