severum and jack dempsy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• severum and jack dempsy

i had someone give me 3 small jack dempsy a couple weeks ago.  for now they are in a 29 gallon with my cherry barbs.  lol.  i know i know.  dont anyone say it wont last but its a temporary state.  would they be ok with my severums.  i read on some of the websites on the net that tell you what can go and cant go to gether they say no.  but the only reason i could really see y not is due to the nature perfect water conditions they have in the wild.  but considering these fish have all been keep in the same water conditions there whole life.  y cnat they be put together.  any ideass.  ??

Re: severum and jack dempsy

If the dempsy's are smaller and the severum's are already established I would try it and keep a close eye on them.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yeah.  the severums are big and jacks small.  i figured if jacks give to much flack the severums will whip butt.  but the jacks are bigger than my cherry barbs and a couple rainbows in the tank there in now and they dont mess with anyone.  they are bigger but they are not aggresive at all. the bigger one tries to sometimes but everyone in the tank kinda gangs up on him and puts him back in his place.  
      ive been lucky with aggression fish and stuff.  when i had all my african mix with the balas, loaches which are still together but it also had the severums in there.  everyone got along great.  no problems.  but my africans breed,  got some babys, cant catch them so i put the severums in a 55 and im tryin to get them to breed so fingers crossed.  lol.  dont know what ill do with babys, cant keep them but i love watchin the circle of life with fish.  they fry are so interesting.  but all i have had get along. im tryin to get them there own fish regions together but when i first got a tank with severums and africans mixed, i didnt know any better.  so im lucky but im workin them out to get them the best i can.

Comment

keep alot of caves and hiding place for them.

Comment

yeah they will

Comment

question,  my neighbor has some guppys and wants to ditch them.  would my severums and jack dempseys like to eat them???

Comment

well today i just setup the 75 finally.   i only put in my green severums, and the leporanis or how ever you spell it, and i put in the 3 jack dempseys.  I didnt put my orange heroes severum in cause I dont wanna over crowd and plus  he looks off in there with them.  lol.  he stands out.  when the water clears,  ill post a pic.

Comment

When the Dempseys get large... Good bye sevs.

Comment

I would advise mixing Central American Cichlids with the discus/severum/angelfish group.

Comment

i never had a problem with dempseys and severums, had them togather for about 3 years til i gave them away. the sevs were 9&8 in. and the jack was 8 in. also had large vieja synspilum pair with them. the male sev was actually the peace keeper of the tank. the tank i had them in was a bit bigger though.

Comment

just an update to this question.  my jacks are gettin big,  really big.,  but all is well,  my severums are the bosses of the tank, but no fights, first couple weeks was tuff but everything is gravy now.  they all get along fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X