question for the masses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for the masses

I was wondering.  I love going to the aquariums and lfs and stuff like that.  but i always wonder.  im kinda still new to the fish hobby so bear with me.  When you go someplace like aquarium world and they have that huge saltwater tank on the wall.  how in the heck do they do a water change every month at least for a minimum.  i dont konw much about saltwater tanks.  wanna get one one day but thats a while away.  I have a brackish tank and cleaning it is kinda a pain cause you gotta dechlorinate the water, then mix the salt, then let it sit, check the salinety then poor it in and repeat.  well with the 10 gallon its in not a big deal but im tryin to get a 29 to put them in.  thats gonna be kinda a pain but ill deal.  how do they mix the salt and all for these big tanks,  chemicals, and all that.  heck evan water changes.  any ideas on this id like to hear.   What about the guys and some of you have,  like a 300 gallon freshwater.  how do you always change that amounth of water and add the chems.  heck what about just keepin the tank topped off.  sorry if its alot.  minds running wild tonight on pain pills and muscle relaxers.   little injury sustained on a day off unfortunelty.  lol.  thanks guys and gals

Re: question for the masses

Massive holding tanks....large pumps....plumbing everywhere.....valves.....drains......end the end it's as simple as a simple test and after that just a turn of a valve.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

so just like me with my small brack tank.  they have to still mix all the salt and stuff and then get it in after its setup alittle or do they have like systems that can mix it automatically and that kinda stuff and also filter outt the chlorine and stuff out?   like at the downtown aquarium.  i wonder how much water they go through a month on water changes.  they cant possible just drain all that water and simply refill with new can they.  i dont see y they cant use the same water jsut filter it heavy or somethnig

Comment

I got a 500 & 300 water holding tanks. Far when I get my fish room built.
        Right not I have 2 50 & 1 30 gallon holding barrels. For top off I have what is called a top=off switches. When the water in my wet/dry goes down so far. It cuts on a valve that releases the water & stops when it hits a certain level.
        For water changes I use a mag 5 sitting in the barrel that pumps the water back into the aquarium.
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Fish/plants will soak up the nutrients and minerals found in water ..... to replenish it you have to replace it. Filtering it will just remove debris/detritus from the water but it will still be old.

Most all LFS I have been to uses some sort of water holding system.

I have a a small 12g SW tank and it's automated and to keep things simple I buy water from the LFS so no mixing for me.....Like Walter my salinity is kept in order with a float switch that turns on a pump that then pumps ReverseOsmosis water back in since salt doesn't evaporate but water does.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

wvgdiscus  so when you have those holding tanks.  how you keep the algea from takin over or the water from gettin stagnent.  how do you afford the chems.  lol.  

what is this reverseosmosis thing i hear about.  im learin and tryin so bare with me.  i appreciate you guys.  so when the tank gets low on water,  you just fill filtered water right.  no salt to it??  what about the salt that does come out of the tank.  my brack tank gets a salt build up all over the lip and if i just add water then my salinety goes down.  

reason im askin is cause seriously my next thing is to full on saltwater a tank.  i love the way they look and i like the saltwater fish.  i wanna try a small one first and work up but i wanna be as knowledgeable as possible.

Comment

The water in the holding tanks do not sit very long. I run air in to it to keep the water moving.

Join & check out these sites on saltwater

Reef Central Online Community Discussion Forums For Marine Reef Aquarists Saltwater Aquarium Hobby

The 1st one is the Houston forum.
              The 2nd one is know around the world.
              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

thanks.

Comment

Yeah, holding water usually don't sit long....I do water changes weekly. To pay for it we have jobs and most usually work a lot more to be able to afford it all.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

man eklilewhoa u cant sleep either.  pain pills for the hurt back keep me awake.  so i said screwit.  im up.  plus im watchin blue planet for like the 50 time. love that documentary.  

about the water and stuff. tell me about it.  lol.  work hard to pay for it.  lol.  i was just always curious about those big salty tanks.  you know.

Comment

What about the water?

Seriously though....most people worked hard at one point or another to afford it.....where else would it come from?
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

btw what kind of pills did you get for your back? when I got hurt I got pills that made me feel really trippy then sleepy
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

no no .  i was sayin about the water and stuff, tell me about it,  work hard to pay for it.  me too.  my punctuation and english isnt usually so hot on the net.  lol.  i think faster than type.  haha.  no i know .  i work hard for it too.  wouldnt change it though.  love my fishys.

Comment

i would think they use some kinda drip system.. that way they never really have to actually do a water change.

Comment

man im not sure what i have.  i gotta about 6 bottles over there.  dependin on the mix and amount. yeah baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X