Houston Aquatics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Aquatics

Figured since everyone is helpful and post their experience for others I would add mine....

I went to Houston Aquatics today to further my experience with guppies since everyone says they have a lot here....

The driveway is narrow and steep....easy to pass the better entrance since the place is on the far edge of the strip....ruined my fender but most people should be ok since my vehicle is lowered. I have passed by this place multiple times to go to SVO ford racing, ADG, and Fish Gallery but was never interested in going in till now.

The store on the outside has a large sign so you won't miss it or you will know that you passed it up....it is on durham I believe and if you are coming fro 610/45 you will need to u-turn off of shepard to get to the place.

The inside smells and they have birds/cats/reptiles/rodents so you could only imagine how bad it was. I went with the fiance and she always goes to the small animals section while I wonder the fish area.......Nothing unusual for a LFS....cheap malawi cichlids....bread & butter small fish. They did have tons of guppies and they were separated by pattern which was nice.....they did have some nice livebearers angels but most everything else I could do without. They had large holding tanks in the back room which I peeked into with large amounts of guppies but they would not let me go past the open door and when asked about them they were not for sale...

Dry goods was somewhat limited IMO but I did notice some of the cheapest prices on eheim classics!!!! they were comparable to City Pets which is almost comparable to internet prices!!!

The fiance's review......kittens were caged in tiny cages and there was quite a few in one cage when I glanced over there. She felt that the rabbits were too big and too many in the cage they were in. When I asked her how it looked over there she told me she felt bad for them. IMO typical LFS.

The staff did greet us when we came in and did ask us if we needed assistance.....something that struck me as odd was I told the girl I needed some fish and she grabbed the net and bucket but when I told her it was guppies I wanted she went back and got a bucket labeled guppies only which had a string on it securing a net to the bucket. This told me that they really pride their guppies.

Overall.....I would probably never return unless it was for more livebearers or an eheim or two. Reasons why? the smell and the driveway.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Re: Houston Aquatics

John breeds his own guppies in the back room.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I saw that but the girls that were there wouldn't let me buy from there.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

They not know whoa you are either.
        Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

huh
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I use to hit up john shop back in the days. it have change over the years.

Comment

Ek THOSE ARE HIS BREEDERS. He is not going to sell them.
              Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

There was like millions of them...I am sure he sells them...I am sure those that are for sale up front didn't come from a wholesaler....at least it wouldn't make much sense.

I did get like two nice males from there....seen some nice sunset hi-fin mollies like at the auction too....but I think these were $5 a pair.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I've been there in the past.  Decent prices compared to some of the other LFS in houston.  Like EK said, comparable to City Pets.

Its a Hole in the Wall but most decent places are.  If you don't see what you want, he will try to get.  His Frontosa were decently priced when on sale....7.99, if memory serves me correctly.  Speaking of sales, one thing I liked was that he always had weekly sales, written up on a large chalk board....or was it a dry-erase board....at any rate it was an ok place.

Raul
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

I did see the board.....the guppies I bought were marked $4.99-5.99 pr and I got them for $1.99-2.99.

I didn't see the fronts....I did see the bettas hanging on the hooks though....really interesting concept, just like in the orients.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you look in the ghost shrimp tanks, you can sometimes find nice native fish, like swamp darters and blue-finned killifish. John has sold these to me for $0.50 each.

-Nick Montemayor
                      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I did see that tank....the had some flag fish in there I think.....funny you mention it cause I did look through that tank
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

its not the best place, but is  cheap
                          Im buy a eheim 2217 for $50 less of regular price on LFS
                          and john is a nice person

Comment

I stopped into Houston Aquatics a couple weeks ago.  They had this little kitten (small!) with a stub for a tail that followed me around the whole time.  Not that that's terrible, but I thought it was a bit weird, someone could easily step on the little guy.

Anyway, their fish selection seemed pretty good.  They had very good prices on their stuff.  The only negative I can think of was they had a tank full of German Blue Rams and probably 80-90% of them had either fin rot or they were all nipping each others fins nearly all the way off.  Pretty sad, but at $2.99 each for them, I suppose you get what you are paying for.

They had a fairly large selection of dry goods at good prices.  I wish I knew they had Eco-Complete before I ordered online and paid for shipping.  I ended up getting some airline tubing and accessories for it, and a couple Water Sprite plants that are really taking off in my tank.

Comment

anyone know if this place sells freshwater shrimp?

Comment

Working...
                              X