ANYIDEA ON HOW TO MAKE A SIPHON WITH A POWERHEAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANYIDEA ON HOW TO MAKE A SIPHON WITH A POWERHEAD

I was readin an article and a guy was usuing a powerhead siphon thingy.  anyone got any ideas???

Re: ANYIDEA ON HOW TO MAKE A SIPHON WITH A POWERHEAD

Simple really, just need 2 lengths of vinyl tubing. One length on the intake end of the pump and another, longer piece on the discharge end. Depending on the strength of the powerhead you may need to submerge the pump in order for it to effectively draw water.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

wonder if it works very well???  any ideas what to put on the end to siphone the gravel or is that pushin it???

Comment

I do what SCOTT said all the time -- (whenever I relocate tanks). It works great. A 2400 GPH pump and large diameter hose move the water VERY quickly.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by mrairportjunke";p="
          wonder if it works very well???  any ideas what to put on the end to siphone the gravel or is that pushin it???
          A stead hand works wonders.
          Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
          Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
          Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Yeah, I was noticing when reading the directions on the H.O.T. that I bought, that you can hook up the intake line to a clear plastic tube and use it as a power vac.....seems really cool when you think about it.....I've yet to try this feature, but it sounds like it would work pretty well.

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

im gonna get me some of that mesh screen stuff like thing that goes in teh sink drain and put it over the end of the gravel siphon to keep the rocks from gettin in the powerhead

Comment

Pantyhose works well. Just dont try them on afterwards.
                Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

na.  the kind i like have the larger holes.   i like the slutty ones.   shows my leg hairs better.  ahaha

Comment

Most powerheads will need to be submerged....I tried making a pump to pump RO water back into my tanks and it wouldnt run......ended up with an inline pump instead.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i remmember waqy back in the day when i was just clenaing tanks and not doing a water change that I took the intake from the syphon and put it into one of the filter socks for a wet/dry filter, you know the really nice micron ones that you can reuse, anyway the water drains through that but comes out clean, then I put a lower power pump to pump water back into tank, lets you get tank sparklin clean without taking a whole lotta water out and gives you time to do it right. you can always do a water change afterward if you want and do an exact amount. (did this when i worked at global fish and pet, thought it was a great idea)
                      Never fear I is here
                      David Abeles
                      Vice President
                      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

to clarify it wasnt my idea it was the owners method (i will not steal credit)
                        Never fear I is here
                        David Abeles
                        Vice President
                        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                        X