power outages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power outages

He guys long time now see.  hows it been.  Well anyway today my electricity went out for about 2 hours and it got me thinking.  What would I ever do if it was out for an extended period of time.  I have a 110, 55, 30, 10, and a 2.5 betta.  hes no problem but the big tanks are the main problems.  110, 55, 30.  what do yall do in emergency?

Re: power outages

You can buy battery powered air pumps to keep oxygen in the tanks. The problem is the batteries usually don't last that long.
    If you are home all you really need to do is take a clean cup and scoop up a glass full of tank water and pour it back into the tank, this will keep oxygen in your tank and won't cost a dime...just make sure you keep an eye on your fish to make sure they are breathing ok. How much you do this all depends on tank size/ stocking levels/fish/ plants etc....just make sure you keep an eye on things. 8)

Comment

yeah.  i was wondering if that would work enough.  thanks.

Comment

someone told me it is possible to use the packs people buy for their computers for power outages.  I've never used one... but someone told me it is possible
        5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
        20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
        29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
        29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
        29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
        55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
        75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
        / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

If you will read the back of the package on the air pumps. You can find ones that last 24 hours. Also you can do water changes every day to. This will help with the water quality.
          Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
          Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
          Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Buy a bag of straws and start blowin.
            So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_chair";p="
              Buy a bag of straws and start blowin.
              lol. id heat the tank up way to hot.  ahha

Comment

I think you would get co2 from that as opposed to o2.... :wink:
                Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

At least you would feel like you were doing something......
                  So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

true about the co2 but before i did that i think theyd have to suffocate.  lol. the bucket brigade sounds good enought

Comment

Theyd only get a very low amount of CO2.

I dont have any strategies for a power outage, i'll just stir up the water every hour.

Comment

Comment

I've got a battery backup air pump that my wife gave me as a gift.........it kicks on as soon as the power goes off. I'm not sure where she got it but this is it: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113402   It's worked fine for the last year or so that I've had it

Comment

Brownsnoutuk- stirring up water / taking a cup and picking it up and then pouring it back in sounds like a good idea to me  assuming none of these other items are available.
                            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

In large tanks I have a powerhead....MJ900 hooked up to a power invertor which hooks up to my car. The powerhead is pointed to the water surface so it increases o2....open all the tops and have small box fans blowing over the sump to keep the water cool cause cooler water holds more o2.

My nano I wanted to get a UPS which is the computer battery back up or UninterruptedPowerSupply.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X