Curved Spine Birth Defects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curved Spine Birth Defects?

There is two guppies in my fry tank that have a very curved spine.  I don't see a problem but I do have alot of fry right now and more on the way so I am considering putting them with my Angels and letting them snack on the two.  I was curious if they can grow out of this deformity or if it causes problems later on if I continue to let them live.

Re: Curved Spine Birth Defects?

This happens. Pretty sure it's permanent. I think the angel idea is a good one.  :(
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Ihad one live for well over a year with a very curved back, as far as i know shes still alive in Scotts plant tank.

She ate/bred etc just fine, although she would rest on plants and ornaments. I think it was down to a lack of amino acids/ vitamin C or something.

Comment

Yeah, I have heard that something like that about their diet might cause it, or if there is a temperature change in the case of egg laying fish it can cause it.  Thanks Mzungu, yeah I don't enjoy doing it but survival of the fittest.  I seem to have alot of females so I was probably going to do it anyway.  If I get overpopulated they will be the first to go.

I finally got the breeding tank setup right.  I got a 20 gallon with a divider, which is working better than previous times where I moved the mother or the fry.  I have about 30 right now from one month old to born this morning.  So having fish living long enough to show birth defects is actually a success for me. :-)

Comment

I read an article about this recently, don't remember where... Basically if you have a fish with a bent spine, them more of you fish are generically disposed to the defect, but don't exhibit in in the environment. Also if you get a otherwise desirable with a bent spine you can still breed it, its off spring will carry the gene but if the environment is not optimal of the gene the offspring won't exhibit the spine problems. This was found on a guppy site. I might try it with a swordtail.

Comment

I think you are right, it is a genetic deformity that is expressed when there is a shortage of vitamin C (?) in the diet. Ideally one would manipulate the diet to see the defect and then cull the fish that express it to promote healthy bloodlines.

max

Comment

Wow! That's some pretty interesting stuff! It's pretty cool that you can make some genes show themselves in order to improve your stock!

Rebekah

Comment

Yes, Also recently discovered was that HalfMoon Bettas will not develop their beautiful 180deg half moon tails unless they have excelent water. ( weekly water changes & a high proteen diet)
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Hmmm... I remember now why I got out of bettas! I still LOVE the crowntails though!!

Rebekah

Comment

I will use punnet squares to explain and talk about the genetics of the crooked spines in guppies at the HLA meeting Saturday at Fish Ranch II.

max

Comment

Yay! I really enjoy genetics!  

Rebekah

Comment

Working...
                      X