I Have Fry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have Fry!

Yay! One of my white Mollie females that I got from Mike just had babies lastnight!
    I don't know how many she had, but she was full and now she is empty... I hope
    at least some survive, because I've seen the white male chasing the babies around every
    chance he gets... I think I've seen 3 or 4 so far...not really sure because they are
    swimming all over the place.

Also, my female that had the babies is acting kinda strange. She will swim for a while,
    and then stop all of a sudden and let her head drift up so she looks like she is standing
    on her tail. It is the weirdest thing I have ever seen! It seems like she is doing it to herself
    because She is able to stay level if she wants. Is she overcompensating now that the babies are
    gone? Could she be telling the male she wants to be bred by doing this? She is eating and
    acting normal right now, except for this little thing... I am clueless...LOL! Somebody
    please fill me in!    

Rebekah

Re: I Have Fry!

Congrats
    So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

I don't have an answer about the odd behavior of the female, but glad to hear about the fry.

Raul
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for the congrats! As far as I can tell the fry are doing pretty well...except for the dumb ones that swim out into the open! LOL! I got to see one up close and they look calico colored! I wonder if their color will change or if this is the color they will really be. I mean, they did come out of a white one... They are pretty cute though! I can't wait to order my fancy lyretail guppies!

The mom is still acting weird, but she is eating and breathing!

Rebekah

Comment

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
          Checkout my blog AquaMusing
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the mother is a goner. Congrats on the babies though
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hey y'all! There are a few smart babies left as of today hiding in the roots of my Java Fern! I saw at least 4 babies in all.

Yeah, EK, I was really expecting to lose that female, but she is still alive and eating well. She seems pretty active and keeps following the male around...but she is still "standing up". She isn't doing it as often anymore, and it really seems like she only does it when she is being approached by the white male... It is the weirdest thing to see! Then, if he swims away, she will swim after him... Does anyone have any clues? Oh well, as long as she is still alive I guess it's ok...

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a breeder net and a turkey baster and getting those babies out of danger...

Rebekah  8O

Comment

you need salt in your water....
                Resident BUM !!!

Comment

Loopy, my molly does the same "standing dance" too. I think it has something to do with mating???

I had fry once...but I think all my other fish in the tank took them out 1 by 1. I did get a picture of 3 that were hanging out at the top of the tank before they vanished. 8O
                  75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
                  55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco
                  29gal: Tore down...For Sale!

Comment

I think it's for the male's benefit.  :)  Or, is she doing anything when she "stands up," or does she just kinda float there?

Congrats on the fry!

And you don't necessarily need salt. I don't use any for my mollies.
                    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

No floating, just looks like deliberately standing up... She kinda wiggles her tail and it looks like she is trying to keep her balance with her side fins (for lack of the technical term). I added some aquarium salt (dissolved in water first) and they are doing well. I will have to go watch some more and see if she is still doing it. It is totally weird. LOL!

Also, I sucked up 3 fry so far and put them in a breeder net. I guess the ones I can't get to will be ok for now since they know how to hide from me. LOL! I will post a pic later of the babies and maybe I can get a good pic of that female doing that standing thing.

Rebekah

Comment

Sounds like you got you one of those fancy trick Mollies.
                        So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

I got a white female (Platinum) Sailfin Mollie at Fish Gallery, and 3 weeks ago she had tons of fry.
                          They were born in the main tank first, and I took her out and put her in my Guppy 10 gallon to finish spawning.
                          Since I use Colorado River rock from Loews in my tanks. the fry went to the rocks and stayed there. None were eaten as far as I can tell, as I have over 40 mostly Platinum fry swimming around in all of my tanks  except the guppy tank. (Moved them out...)
                          They were smart enough to stay in the rocks, and I saw them travel all around the 20 gal using the under- rock highway; in the Guppy tank they went where they wanted after a week, not worried about the guppies at all.
                          It took 2 weeks 'til the fry came out of the rocks in the 20 gal, and avoided the bigger fish while swimming where they wanted.
                          At 3 1/2 weeks they are small fish, and are at home everywhere in the tanks (1 55 gal, a 20, and a dedicated Mollie fry 10 gal ); the mom is pregnant again, I guess she stored some sperm from the original breeding and is really big after 3 1/2 weeks.
                          Some are "green", a very few are white with a black speck here and there, but most are pure white.
                          She is with my mottled Male, but I doubt if the fry are from him; only one fry is mottled.
                          Anyone want some nice free Sailfin Mollies? I want to find a good home for about 25 of the fry, not as feeder fish but as honored Sailfin Mollies in someones nice aquarium! :)
                          Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Quite coincidentally...my really beautiful Marbled Lyretail Sailfin Mollie spawned a little over 30 fry tonight! She had a few in the 20 gallon, where she was the only Mollie left (I had moved the others to my "new" 55 gallon tank); they zipped here and there for a while, keeping safe until I put them in the fry tank, where I put Mama to have the rest of her brood.
                            She had about 30+ fry in a few hours, didn't try to eat any, and when I was pretty sure she was done I put her gently in the 55 gal.
                            I moved most of the largest month old Platinum fry to the 20 and the 55 gal, so there is plenty of room for the fry to grow big with their larger cousins. They are nibbling the flake food I fed the older fry, and are swimming around with them like the big kids.
                            Several went into hiding in the rocks and in the plants, but came out after a while like they knew it was safe. Way kool!
                            Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Philbert I've PM'd you.... (though it could be pointless by now    )

Comment

Working...
                              X