Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lighting - Anyone use the Odyssea Compact Lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting - Anyone use the Odyssea Compact Lights?

cruising the internet, I found a number of reviews on these fixtures, and well they are not too good.

I was wondering if anyone using them has had any issues with the fans making noise, bad ballast, melted parts, bad bulbs?

Please post any comments here, Iwould apprecaite it.
    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Re: Lighting - Anyone use the Odyssea Compact Lights?

I'm using a PC fixture on my 5g, which is a 24" either 55 or 65 watt. I immediately changed out the bulb, though (to a sunpaq). And from what I've learned in the past year and applied, they really don't have any great qualities about them, like good reflectors, etc. They're cheap, but they work. And that's about all I've experienced. Mine's been running for a year, and I don't have any problems. But, then again, it's only a single lamp fixture, so heat's not really an issue. No fan to worry about. Sorry I can't help more.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Lots of poor reviews on the fans being noisey, and not cooling.

Lots of reviews on bad bulbs that are not what they say they are, so people have had to do what you did and get new bulbs.  Are they straight pin or square pin?

Lots of reviews on bad ballast and overall poor construction.

Lots of reviews of you get what you pay for..

Comment

Yup, exactly. The bulbs in mine are straight pin. Would be kinda funny if they were square pin.

Comment

The square pin is panasonic bulbs I think.

In my search for a 60" fixture, all the Current USA Powercompact fixtures use square pin.

Comment

Current is usually square pin, although they do make straight pin bulbs (which I have in my Odyssea fixture). Square pins are more expensive, usually.

Comment

I have the 48 in model with four 65w CF bulbs.  It works, the fan is noisy but it fades into the background.
              Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks!

Comment

I HATE mine!!! I bought a complete Jebo set up and I'm sad that I went the cheap route...I've had to change the ballast in them 4 times and the fans once...they still don't work fully!! You do get what you pay for. On the bright side I've learned A LOT about re-wiring my hood (and i think that's the problem..the hood collects the condensation from the water and shorts out the ballasts)      

i have the 4 X 65w CF set up too..

Comment

I have 3-they have been fine for a year or so.  I do believe that you get what you pay for...but they cost half of what the others cost.  If one breaks....Ill buy another one and break even.

Comment

Hey Geoff, next time your at UF, ask alex what he thinks about Odyssea lights. When I used to work there, there was a guy who came in wanting to return his because it caught on fire.  8O As a college kid, it's quite tempting to cut corners to save a little extra cash, but I always try to keep "do it once, do it right" in mind. Good luck dude

Comment

fire in th fishroom, is not good.

Comment

Working...
                      X