German Rams copying Bolivians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Rams copying Bolivians

LOL..the German Rams occupy a corner of a 75 gal across from the corner of my other 75 gal where the Bolivian Rams with fry were. They must have been watching the Bolivians because now the German Rams are trying their hand at parenting. (eggs are right below fathers mouth in pic).

They aren't as vigilant as the Bolivians. They allow all kinds of visitors, rummy nose and cardinal tetras , Angels and Apistos. Then suddenly they both chase an intruder leaving eggs exposed.

Maybe they will become more vigilant once , and if, eggs hatch.

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Re: German Rams copying Bolivians

Learn by doing,   :)  Guess they are having a test run perhaps?

Good Luck

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

really nice, i thought they usually lay eggs on a stone/smooth surface!

i can't wait to get my first blue ram pair
      65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
      55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
      30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

Nice!
        Great location for viewing too
        Good luck

Comment

This is their second attempt that I know of.

You know sometimes a rock is used and other times they dig a pit, like in this case. Bolivians used rock then dug pit and moved eggs to it, then dug another pit and moved eggs again.

This has been fun watching the behavior with other fish in area...not the same in their own breeding tank, I imagine.

Comment

Male was more territorial in my common tank - he really went after ~3" gourami male who is normally the boss of the tank, but after I put divider he calmed down. How long did it take you Rams to go from wigglers to totaly free swimmers? WWW has different numbers. Is that normal for them to stay on a substrate in the pit for the night after that?

Comment

Bolivian Ram went from eggs to wigglers in 2 days or close to that. They were free swimming within 3 days after that.

Bolivian Rams are very aggressive in their parenting. The German ones seem docile then the male will go after an apisto male who has taken up residence with a female in a piece of driftwood behind them There are other apistos near by but they havent come over to investigate from what I have seen. Oh..and the corys, if they come close, get the Rams FULL attention (forgot about them)...the Angels and tetras get very little attention.

Dont know what is normal or what is not...Sometimes the Bolivians have used rocks, sometimes Pits..and this time both...we may be learning together :)

Comment

I wonder if my feeding them bloodworms once a day or every other day rather than as an occasional treat has initiated this spawning. The temp maintains at 79 - 82 degrees too.

Comment

Working...
                X