Cleanup Crew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanup Crew?

I was wondering what type of bottom feeder/cleanup'er is good to put with my 8 dwarf cichlids?? Right now I have 2 common plecos...but I plan on moving them over to the "big" tank.
    75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
    55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco
    29gal: Tore down...For Sale!

Re: Cleanup Crew?

Where did you get your Juvi. Firemouths from???

Comment

you missed the bumblee cats at the HLA auction.... 8O
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I might know where a couple might be.......
        So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Are you looking for something to eat algae or a bottom feeder that can help eat the uneaten food? (BTW, if it's the latter, just make sure they get enough to eat, my red eye tetras devour anything as soon as it hits the water!)

Bristlenose plecos are great, stay smaller, and are always on the move, eating algae and such. If you choose to get more plecos, just make sure you supplement their diet with wafers every few nights.

I LOVE CORIES! Corydoras catfish would go great with everyone in your 55. Check them out! They like to be in groups, so 6 or more is ideal, and makes them even more fun to watch.  
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hanson77";p="
            Where did you get your Juvi. Firemouths from???
            In Lewisville (Rift to Reef)...I'm in the Dallas area..Sorry :(
            75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
            55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
              you missed the bumblee cats at the HLA auction.... 8O
              Yeah, I did miss out on that one. Since I live in Dallas I didn't make the drive!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                Are you looking for something to eat algae or a bottom feeder that can help eat the uneaten food? (BTW, if it's the latter, just make sure they get enough to eat, my red eye tetras devour anything as soon as it hits the water!)

Bristlenose plecos are great, stay smaller, and are always on the move, eating algae and such. If you choose to get more plecos, just make sure you supplement their diet with wafers every few nights.

I LOVE CORIES! Corydoras catfish would go great with everyone in your 55. Check them out! They like to be in groups, so 6 or more is ideal, and makes them even more fun to watch.  
                I'm looking for one fish to do both task! Apparently I need to get more red eyes because they aren't schooling :( The larger plecos will be moved to the bigger tank probably in another week or so. So I need to get something for the "ram tank". I heard that the rams get aggressive towards the cories when they breed??

Comment

Some fish don't school as good as others, I'm not sure about the ones you have though.  I think you should have a minimum of 10.

I haven't heard anything negative about rams and cories being together.  I will say that one of my favorite sites is a group of at least 6 cories schooling around the tank together.  They all will go up the top of the tank for air and it's like a little line of cories.  They won't eat algae though.  I can't think of any fish that do both.
                  58G Malawis
                  10G planted

Comment

The best thing I have found so far to keep the tank clean in all aspects is still me.
                    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I agree with wvgdiscus, the cleaner crew only adds to your bioload and not overfeeding and wiping the walls yourself is your best bet.  I still think cories are adorable and good for some bottom activity though.
                      58G Malawis
                      10G planted

Comment

Yes, I'd also have to agree. I just would like something to cleanup the food just incase I accidently overfeed  

I'm going to get another 4 red eyes, that'll make 10...hopefully they'll start schooling then.

It's a toss up between a bristlenose and cories?? Will the bristlenose cleanup the food on the bottom? I don't have a algae problem. I have a magnet thingy that cleans the walls and I do regular weekly maintenance on the tank.

Comment

All my bristle nose will eat anything that hits the bottom.
                          Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                          Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                          Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Goodie...I really like those guys. I'm nervous about adding 6 bottom feeders (cories) because all 8 rams stay at the bottom..I don't want to disturb them

Comment

Yup, I make sure my bristlenoses get fed what all my other fishes get fed.    They're just as excited as everyone else at dinner time.

Since they are pretty active, you might want to leave the back wall 'un-cleaned,' so algae can grow. I usually leave the back and sides of my tanks alone and only clean the front glass, so my fish and snails can eat the algae.
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                              X