Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Readings

Okay... Mike, Ek...
    I went home and tested out my new test kit on my 20 that I literally hosed out via the neighbor's hose (well water)
    My ph is between the 8.2  and the 8.4 so I would guess 8.3 lol.
    The ammonia is .25
    the nitrate is 0
    the nitrite is a little darker than the 0 but nowhere near purple (.25)
    Woulld that mean that if I lowered the ph a bit, the tank would be ready for fish?
    I know... I know..... fish tank ignorance at it's best.  I just want to do things correctly.
    By the way.... It was awesome meeting everyone Roy, Heidi, Mike, Ek, and Osama *giggles*
    The bag is ready for school tomorrow.
    I followed the test kit to the T. (I timed it and everything)
    I did use an old filter but I haven't taken any water out or added any in...

Mike... I will make sure to get some pictures of my kids with the tanks for you to use on your (FUTURE) website.  I will certainly send them your directions when they decide they MUST have a tank at home ;-).  THANKS... for EVERYTHING!
    I can't wait for the 7th!!!!
    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Re: Tank Readings

A cycled tank will have Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate should be >0

You can put a couple of fish in the tank now, and check the water daily.

ph 8.3 is ok for lots of fish, what are you putting in it?

Comment

Re: Tank Readings

The readings should be like Brownsnoutuk stated....No readable traces of Ammonia or NitrIte....when you start getting a reading of Nitrates which is the end cycle then that's when you are getting closer.

With the Well water it's hit or miss especially if it's not dug deep enough....I know at our piece of land the well water is super clean of containments but there are higher readings of minerals in which some do not like. Are you limited to well water?

You could get some cycling fish to help speed up the process or get with someone and use some seeded filter material to help it along it's way.

With the pH that high which is good for cichlids...probably not so good for discus or angels it's somewhat limiting....but then again if you get local bred/raised fish it shouldn't matter as much since they will be well acclimated to the water.

But so far so good....at least you didn't start with all readings at 0....it takes a bit of time to get it started but your readings state that beneficial bacteria has started to grow which is converting your ammonia to nitrIte, now you need the nitrIte and ammonia to get soaked up and turned to nitrAte.

It was a pleasure meeting you as well as trademan and his wife......let's not start with Osama  
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
      X