filter water outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filter water outlet

ok, my filter water outlet (through which filtered water get back into the tank) creates a pretty good current in the water surface and also some current throughout parts of the tank, my tetra's so far don't seem to mind it, in fact it seems like sometimes they deliberately swim towards it and swim against the current, but i would still like to find out if this is a good or bad thing for the fish/plants etc.  also, when i fully stock my tank (once cycled), i want to have a pair of german blue rams, 13 more cardinals, maybe a few little shrimps, 1 or 2 oto if i have algae, (maybe a pair of mouth brooding betta) assuming i am able to do this over time, is the current going to be a problem?

also, how can i control this current (if i choose to do so), w/o something obviously ugly looking!

my tank: 30gal. tall (24"L*12"W*24"H)
    current residents: news planted plants (anubias nana, crypt lucens, java fern), 5 glowlights, 2 black neon, 2 cardinals, and my latest addition - white ugly/annoying fungus on my bogwood
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Re: filter water outlet

Fish will need a calm place to sleep, just observe to see if they fins a quiet spot. If the filter is really too strong, you can direct it to hit the glass wall of the tank to slow it a bit.

What filter is this?

Comment

I point most to all of my outlets on my tanks to the water surface...in my planted tank just enough to move the debris that settles on the water surface  but like a soft move....this in turns leaves some of the bottom areas with little flow so that the fish can retreat to....also if the fish are able to stay still without over exerting themselves then it's it's just fine.

Seriously though if the fish aren't being blown around then it's not too much....in some of my tanks I have more flow then some would run in an entire fish room and the fish seem to love it or at least not be bothered by it.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i have the standard filter that comes with eclipse system II

i am moving around the outlet to see what is the best position

the fish don't get blown away unless they are close to the outlet or in the direct line of the outlet, there are places in the tank where they seem to e able to be stable without much effort

i guess for now i will leave it alone and see how things turn out, maybe once the plants grow they will absorb some of the current
        65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
        55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
        30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

Working...
        X