my daffodil pair (well, sort of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my daffodil pair (well, sort of)

Yesterday I got a beautiful mated pair of Brichardi 'Daffodil'  - Well, the female is doing great... but the male didn't make it through the night.  I feel just terrible about her losing her mate!  We went today and got 2 younger males for her to choose between (if she wants either of them).  If she doesn't choose either of them we'll probably order a show male for her & see if she's into him.  
    I don't know what happened with her mate - he started acting like he couldn't breathe as soon as they bagged him at the store... and never recovered. He went behind some rocks when we put him into our tank (after acclimating them) & that's where we found him dead this morning.
    What are some early clues that the female may be considering one of these males we have in there for her now?

Re: my daffodil pair (well, sort of)

sorry 2 hear that, hopefully she will like one of the two
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

They are colony type breeders so it would be better to get several females to a few males. If the picture above is of your female I think that you have the opposite...One males(pictured) and the other two females if it's different. Somewhat hard to distinguish when young though.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The photo is of my female. I know she looks like a male, but she is not. She was the female of a mating pair (with many fry in the tank) when I bought her.  The two smaller ones were the 2 largest of the group they were in and look to be males.

Comment

She's a bute!!!

Comment

I have a few for sale...unsure if they are male or female.

Raul
            Raul
            PokerFace

Comment

Yes, she is very beautiful - and wild caught.  I would like to pair her with a beautiful wild caught male... The one we lost was amazing

Comment

UPDATE:
                I still have my female and the 2 younger males that I put in there with her - along with a multi. syn., 3 small clown loaches and 2 small pleco.
                She still hasn't chosen which male she wants to be with... but they all get along very well together.  I am starting to wonder if maybe I only have one male in there...?  Here are some updated pics. You can see that her coloring has changed some since we got her. Let me know what you think.

Comment

That "Synadontis" picture is sooo cute! You have some beautiful fish!

Rebekah

Comment

Thank you :-)  
                    The syn. is quite a character.  He (I think) reminds me of a dog in a doghouse always peeking out of that pot.  He really likes the brichardi too. He goes to hang out with them all excited when he sees them, lol.  They don't mind him at all. They chase the loaches a little to let them know who's boss & I see little nips in the pleco's tails, but they don't seem bothered by the syn. at all.
                    Do you think maybe that second male could be a female??

Comment

wonderful pictures  you have shared here.....i am sorry to hear about your male...but i bet they will all bounce back in no time......but beautiful bunch you have indeed.....

fishlady.....

Comment

Well, the decision as to which male would stay was made... by the males. The one in the pic. above the synadontis started looking larger than the other over the past couple days. I came home yesterday & he had the other male against the glass or hiding behind a plant on the bottom pretty much continually.  I took him out before he got hurt & gave him back to the store. Not I have just the male and female in there. It sure was tough getting that little guy out. We had to take everything out of the tank to get him, lol. The tank is arranged differently now, but everyone still seems hppy. They are exploring where their new caves and such are now. I am hoping they will start to mate before too long :-)
                        Here's a question... Is there any chance of my male getting that nice orange coloring on his body as he ages like the "show males," or would it already be like that? I have noticed his top fin getting a lot more vibrant yellow lately.

Comment

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't daffodils colony/harem breeders?
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Again, nice pictures.

EK, I'm not an expert, but I had 3 males and 3 females in the beginning of the CEDAR POINT GANG.
                              These where peach faced brichardi, and they where all mating originally, but eventually, the domiate male and female forced the others out of the "gang"

Today there are only 3 adult left in the tank, One huge male and two very fine looking females. There is a brand new batch of wigglers, maybe 100 of them, and there are about 100 various fry from previous broods.  

So, yeah, I guess you could say they are harem breeders if you will.

CF
                              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
                              X