fungus on bogwood (mopani), need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fungus on bogwood (mopani), need help

ok, as some of you know, my new tank is going through cycling and i added a bogwood (mopani) couple of days ago to the aquarium, the bogwood has been boiled for 4 days (about 3 hrs boiling everyday, and in bucket with water the remaining for every day of the four days), today, i am noticing some white fungus on the wood!!!  i am nervous because i have not read about this wood fungus thing and do not know if it is bad for fish or not, please help/advise

should i take the wood out?  is it harmful to the fish/plants?  have you guys had similar thing happened to you? will it affect the cycling?  so far i have not seen any ill affect on the fish or plants (but then again it is just showing up today)!!
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Re: fungus on bogwood (mopani), need help

Its nothing but if it really bothers you then you could scrub it with a toothbrush or something.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Right, not a problem, it will go away eventually.

Comment

thanks so much for the quick response, i was freaking out for a little bit, so the fungus won't harm the java fern and nana that i attached to the driftwood?  i hope all turns out ok, not feeling so good!!!

live and let live

Comment

when i put my new piece of wood in my planted the same thing happened to me....i left it alone...within 2 weeks it was gone....no harm to anyone in the tank at all.....

Comment

i treated he tank with melifix when i had that problem and it cleared up in a day or so, but it seems it would have gone away on its own, either way i had no problems, but you might not want to do that to a cycling tank. i too would suggest waiting it out.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

My rams horned snails made quick work of the fungus on my log.  That is, before I added three loches.
              Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks!

Comment

yeah loaches rock hard what kind did u add?
                Never fear I is here
                David Abeles
                Vice President
                Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I haven't had any experience with this. You guys say it's normal and will go away within a week or two, but what is it? I'm curious.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I have three active and fun angelicus loachs (Botia kubotai).  I've even heard them get excited and "click" for their food and while eating.

The slime on the wood is a fungus.  It will go away or can be brushed off.  Brushing won't keep it away though.  Just let it run it's course or get some rams horns and watch them double in size in a week off the stuff.
                    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks!

Comment

But what kind of fungus? Where does it come from?

Comment

It spoors must be on the wood when it arrives.  I guess they could be killed off by heat but it was just there.  I did a bunch of looking up online and everyone just said it will stop after a growing cycle.

Comment

i couldn't find any information on it either when it appeared in my tank.....so i watched it....the fish never bothered it...and it only grew on one end of my wood and then it started just disappearing.....it was really strange looking and white.......wish i had taken pics of it now....

Comment

Weird.  :?  Oh well, at least it goes away after a bit!

Comment

i know this is a little late, but i thought i would post some pictures of the fungus, there pictures at this point is at least 3 or 4 days old

btw, the fungus is still there and it seems like it has not spread or died - just staying the way it is from the beginning

live and let live

Comment

Working...
                              X