anyone like herp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone like herp?

On our land there is a pond full of lesser sirens that are a bit tricky to catch, but they can be kept in aquariums as pets! They are REALLY cool looking! (I will post a pic of one I caught last year, but you can only see a silhouette of it.) For those of you who are interested, they are a species of salamander, they only have front legs, they have gills on the outside...that's the fluffy things around his head, and they are actually kinda neat to watch. They swim like an eel and they like still water with places to hide. Our pond is kind of swampy, and they LOVE it! Won't need very many water changes with these guys. I have seen them as big as 2 1/2 feet long in our pond! They eat crawfish and small fish, but they will feast on beef hearts and chicken livers! I don't keep any in fish tanks because I don't have anything big enough. I will however be willing to catch some for whoever wants them and maybe trade for an aquarium set-up or something... :wink:  There is tons of info and pics of lesser sirens on the internet via google! Go check them out! I think there's a girl on YouTube with some very nice videos of her sirens in her tank!

Anyway, If you read my post where I introduced myself, you might remember I stated that I am interested in starting up a community tank... Well, I should probably describe kinda what I'm looking for... I want a tank around 30 gallons preferably with everything included as far as filter, hood, lights, and stand....and maybe a heater but not necessary. I don't really need decorations because I will probably just change them up anyway, but I will take them if you REALLY need to get rid of them. I need a place where my pretty snails will be happy and have lots of room to...er, glide... I would really like to trade someone for it because...I'm a college student... LOL! If anyone would like a siren or two...or three, or four...please e-mail me with what you have to trade. I will try to catch them after I get some orders...LOL! They can live for a long time in an ice chest because not only do they have gills, they will gulp air! Also, they DO NOT bite! I played with that one in the picture for hours and it never tried to hurt me at all...it was very slimy though!  

Also, I saw a post on here about giant snails and I happen to know of a population of them that I will be visiting soon... We have tons of weeds in our pond, and I want to introduce some of those ravenous snails to eat up all of the nasty moss. I know it's a tad immoral, but the pond is sooooo gross with all of that moss in it and they would have a field day. Anyway, they are also tricky to catch, but I will do my best to try and let y'all know how it goes. Who knows, maybe I'll find some clutches of eggs that I can hatch out! These types of snails DO eat plants though, so they should be kept away from the fancy stuff!

Anyway, e-mail me at loopy119@hotmail.com if you want some sirens! I hope to hear from people!!!  

Rebekah

Re: anyone like herp?

If I ever put a pond in I will have to look you up.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

bump...I can sell them too if anyone wants them!

Comment

I know this is over a year later, but I am interested in one since I lost the one had to Ike. Thanks. 8)
        PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Still interested in one.
          PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Working...
          X