Spawning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spawning Question

We are watching our Bi color pair spawning at the moment as quickly as she is dropping eggs he is agressively scooping them up or eating them.Has anyone witnessed  this before? If he is eating  them would he be worth keeping for trying to breed again?

Re: Spawning Question

Dont know if its the same with bicolours, but angel males take a few goes to realize what theyre supposed to do

Comment

So this is not unusual some of the males just need time to learn.

Comment

I don't know about Bi-Color 500's, but if they are like other Peacocks, I don't think the male should be eating any of the eggs. My male Peacocks and Haps never show any interest in the eggs period. No interest other than fertilizing the egg.

Comment

Just so that I am clear, are you talking about Aulonocara maulana "Bi-Color 500" or some other species? People use the term bicolor to talk about multiple types of fish.
          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Yes I am talking about the Aulonocara species.Sorry for  the late response I was out doing some school shopping for my son.Well I found it kind of odd that the male was eating the eggs.

Comment

Males shouldnt be eating the eggs,females are mouthbrooders and momma needs to tumble in her mouth for babys to survive.
              -C

Comment

Why the males was eating the eggs I can't understand. This is the first time we have attempted to breed him I am just worried that now that he has a taste for them would he ever be able to breed with a female with out eating the eggs?I hope Brownsnoutuk is right maybe he just needs to learn what to do.

Comment

Just about any brooding fish will go through a learning process.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well the good thing is that the female looks like she might of saved a few. I hope it is just a learning process.

Comment

Working...
                    X