Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of my fish died and another isn't eating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my fish died and another isn't eating...

I have a mixed Tang and Malawi tank and everything was going fine until a couple of weeks ago. One of my Julidochromis stopped eating and then I found him on the bottom a 2 days ago. About that time, one of my most beautiful peacocks stopped eating. He just sits around back behind the rocks and actually swims away from food. He still swims around, chasing a couple fish, but also gets chased by only two fish... a electric blue who is a tad larger and a yellow lab who is smaller (we call him bully). I really dont know what to do...I have tried multiple types of food....

Please help me...

75 Gallon Aquariums
    o Sciaenochromis (Electric Blue, Maleri Is) – 1
    o Copadichromis – 1 (actually might be another electric blue)
    o Psuedotropheus Acei – 1
    o Labidochromis – 2 Yellow Labs
    o Metriaclima M. estherae red - 1
    Cobalt blue - 1
    o Aulonocara hansbaenschi – 2 (Sunshine)
    German Red - 2
    Stuargranti – Ngara Flametail – 2
    o Bleekeri
    o 2 Julidochromis - regain, marlieri
    o 2 Neolamprologus - Leleupi, cylindricus
    o 2 Altolamprologus – black, gold
    o 2 Synodontis Catfish - multipunctatus, angelicus
    o 2 large bristlenose Plecostomus – algae eating

Re: One of my fish died and another isn't eating...

Need water parameters and temperature.Any new fish introduced?Water changes done recently?????
    -C

Comment

water parameters perfect.  temp 83-84. no new fish added recently.  water change done a couple weeks ago.

Comment

How long have you kept these fish? Did you just recently add something new to the diet or change their enviroment?

Though, it is not so common in tank raised fish, Malawai Bloat could be an issue with these fish.

You might consider getting a medicated fish food for internal parasites.  A good food for this is Jungle Labs Para-Guard medicated fish food.

It is also very common at most local fish stores.
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

I have had these fish for a few months now.  Nothing new that would affect them eating.  

What are the symptoms of bloat?  my fish wont eat, so parasite food will not work...

Comment

The Parasite food will help those that are eating.

Is the Peacock the only fish not eating or all fish are not eating?

Not eating, is a definate sign of bloat.  Treatment for bloat on Malawai fish, is generally the same treatment even for Trophues.

Treating with Aquarium or Epson Salt, along with dosing the aquarium with CLOUT or METRODIAZONAL tablets is the only treatments I am aware of.

Both CLOUT, and METRO are in just about any pet store.  In my opinion CLOUT is the best.  ARe these Wild or Tankraised Malawai Fish?
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

You can also use Dimetrondizole which I think is marketed for discus or flagyl which is prescribed for humans.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

they are mostly tank raised.  it seems one ngara male and 2 peacock females arent eating

Comment

Bloat is caused by stress.  This stress is a result of waterconditions, change in diet, or change in overally enviroment in the tank such as removeing decorations, adding new fish, or change in breeding habits that may be causing elevated agression issues that are stressing them too much.

Could any of this apply to you?

How long has the tank been setup?  Did you just do a major waterhchange or filter cleaning?

If you medicate with CLOUT or METRO follow the directions on the bottle.  Somethings that are really good practice to do, is a 30-50% waterchanges daily if on MEtro, and if using CLOUT do one every 3rd day.  Also if you can add Aquarium Salt during treatment and extra O2 by adding another powerhead or airstone during the treatment period is all helpful things.

Hope things get better for you, I hate to see this kind of thing happen.  Bloat can kill all of your fish in weeks if not treated.

Good Luck!

Comment

I really dont think it is bloat b/c none of the fish are "bloated".  They swim just fine.  They swim around and everything...chase a couple fish here and there...they just dont eat and seem to be anti-social. I was told to buy more fish b/c it isn't crowded enough and the electric blue is bullying them, causing stress.

Any opinions?  I have about 23 fish in a 92g corner tank.  The largest is about 4 inches.  most are around 3 inches.  Some 1.5 etc.

Comment

MAny times, bloat does not have to have the fish bloated.

Most times after a while the eyes will start to bulge or you may see them bloat up and scales will protrude some, almost like dropsy.

First, I would not buy more fish, until all is well with what I got.

I do not know the dimensions of a 92 gallon corner tank and I do not have much experience with some of the fish you are keeping.  I would not buy more to go in it, but others might have a better suggestion.

Comment

Sounds like too many fish in a small footprint tank.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I agree with ek,too many fish.Seems like you may need to move the electric blue to another tank to see if the aggression goes down.Iam having the same problem with mine,hes in a 75 gallon and bullying everybody,hes about 6" and the others are around 4".Ive got plenty of hiding spots and most of the other inhabitants are staying hid :(
                          -C

Comment

Working...
                          X