Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what type and how many fish for cycling???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what type and how many fish for cycling???

ok, i have decided to cycle my tank with fish, here are my questions?

Q1) What type of fish is the best candidate for this (i want something that i want to keep after cycling of course)?  I keep on hearing about zebra danions, is there other similar size fish that can be candidate for cycling for a community tank?  How about my betta from my old tank?

Q2) How many fish are ideal for cycling a 30Gal.Tall (24"*12"*24") aquarium?

Q3) What brand/type of home test kit are reliable for testing ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?  Can I get them at Petc@ or Petsm@rt or go to other LFS?

Please answer soon, as I might be able to make a trip in an hour or so!
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Re: what type and how many fish for cycling???

You can use any fish for cycling a tank. I prefer to use the cheapest fish possible but not feeders as the carry more diseases.  I hate to loose anything I spent a lot of money on.

If you have the money get the master test kit. They take a litle more time to use but they are more accurate then the test strips are.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

From experience, I strongly recommend a fishless cycle. Doesn't matter how "hardy" they say the fish are...some of my "hardy" fish died

I use API's master test kit. Bought at Petsm@rt.
      75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
      55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco
      29gal: Tore down...For Sale!

Comment

5 zebra danios will be fine. Get them from a good pet store, not Walmart of Petsmart, I prefer any store that has separate filtration on tanks, not all combined which shares diseases from imported fish.

I suggest getting Prime to use as your water conditioner as it will ease the problems of ammonia and nitrite. Do frequent small water changes, and treat the entire tank with Prime each time, so do a 10 gallon water change and treat the full 30 gallon tank. Prime is cheap, allows the filter to cycle properly, eases the fish stresses with cycling.

Get a good test kit, Aquarium Pharm. is fine, about $15 at Pet City.

Cycling takes 40 days, more or less.

Comment

i ended up not finding any zebra danios (i know, they are usually always available), so i got 6 white clouds, and three little bunches of crypt lucerns, even these three little plants look beautiful in the tank, live plants are just amazing, anyway, as soon i let the white clouds in the tank, they started schooling around as if they had been there for years, they started going around the tank and then swimming underneath the plants and playing with each other happily, i had to sit and stare for a while before i could remove myself, anyway, i HOPE that the cycling goes well and they all stay healthy through the process, they have pretty colors too, i have black substrate (EC) and black background and they colors just pop  

live and let live

Comment

White clouds are cold water fish just FYI
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i dont like fishless cycling the whole idea is that u need a sorce of ammonia and without fish that mean chemincals or just rotting food in the tank. (i prefer fish to rotting food or chemicals) anyway its hard to beat zebra danios for hardiness, but i remmember a good rule that i have almost always stuck by (that is without plants because they speed the process quite a bit) no more then 4 small fish (danio or tetra size) ina 10 gallon to start and you can add about 2 fish per 10 gallons past that. so 6 for 20 or no more then 8 for a 30, so the amount of white clouds you got should be fine especially with the plants in there. that rule had gotten me through i lost count of how many cycles wiht almost never any fish loss during cycle. only ones that failed me were senstive fish like loaches of the like (which i know i should have held off on) anyway white clouds are fairly well adaptable and always do well for me in heated tanks of not.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

If you hvae good enough light, the plants will use the ammonia the fish produce, to the extent that they can. to the extant that they cannot, there will be nitrites produced. Test for each after a few days. Right now with freshly filled tank, all is well for a few days. At about 5 days, you may need a small water change.

Comment

thanks for the tips guys, the plants and fish look good so far, i LOVE the crypt  lucerns, look so cool, i want to get more plants, but i am trying to be patient about it so i get the right plants, i will take pictures so i can do a timeline picture thing a few months later  :)

live and let live

Comment

i recently boughts some white clouds and in less than a week they spawned, i have about 15 baby fry (about two weeks old).  they're neat fish!
                    58G Malawis
                    10G planted

Comment

sproett, where did you get your clouds from? i got mine from fishgallery, i took a quick trip during lunch and couple of them are not looking so good   , the water parameters are probably not right!!!, i need to get a test kit soon, this sucks, my betta, who has been there for two days is doing fine though, i hope i did not mess this up!

live and let live

Comment

congrats sproett on your spawn, but back to main topic if your water is gettin a little outa sorts just do a small partial water change. a lot of people worry a great deal but u need a little ammonia to get it all going, and typically if the fish are a hardy variety they will survive a small spike, the big thing to do is not over feed (very easy to do with small fish) i wouldnt even feed the tank everyday, say once everyother day and that helps a great deal because you get lower spikes in the cycle which means lower stress levels for fish. because once the cycles is finished t adjusts faster because its easier for bacteria to multiply then originate from scratch. the other reason the plants were a good idea is because they bring some of that bacteria with them and they do feed off of ammonia. just so you know crypts ten to get a lot of nutrients from their substrate, i have lucens and i like it too
                        Never fear I is here
                        David Abeles
                        Vice President
                        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

thanks tiapan, that makes sense, i was getting really worried, i guess there is always the risk with cycling with fish, and its good to know that crypts get a lot of their nutrients from substrate because i have all EC substrate, are most rooting plants like that?

live and let live

Comment

Is there a good article about how to cycle freshwater tanks? I found a nice one on a goldfish site, but it doesn't say what to do next...like, how often do you cycle your tank? How much water should you change and how often after that? I know these are probably stupid questions, but I really am confused. LOL! What kind of filter do you use when you cycle? Help!  8O

Rebekah

Comment

Oh, I found that article about cycling the tank that I was talking about:

It's really interesting!

Rebekah

Comment

Working...
                              X