bad algae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad algae

I have a 30g planted and am having a horrible algae problem.  It's the kind that grows on the plants and looks like a moss.  What do ya'll recommend doing to stop this?  I have a handful of ottos but they're not doing too much to help.

Re: bad algae

Well.. if you have algae, its a sign of nutrient imbalance. There are immediate ways of removing the algae, but correcting the imbalance is the key to long term success. What sort of algae do you have? (see link below)

Post a little more info on the tank so that people can diagnose the problem.

1) Is the tank planted?
    2) How long do you have the lights on everyday?
    3) what kind of algae is it? See here:

4) How is your tank stocked?
    5) If possible, concentration of NitrAtes and Phosphates.
    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

If you have a camera please post a picture of it.
      Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
      Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
      Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

More info is needed.

Tank size
        Tank stocking
        Light type, photo period length
        feeding habits and what food
        co2
        what ferts
        water change routines
        water params if possible
        substrate used
        age of tank as it is
        is the tank  near a window
        what kind of circulation or filtration
        temp
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Tank size:
          30g

Planted:
          yes.. pretty heavily but i cut a few stems with the algae

Water Changes:
          weekly

Filter:
          Ehiem Ecco (don't know number)  Circulates water pretty well
          2x Filter pads, 1x Carbon, 1x Bacteria ring things

Not near a window but Lights stay on for approx 10-12hr a day

Algae type:
          Either beard or hair.... I've dropped a crew of amano shrimp in yesterday.

Tank holds:
          10x Jellybean Tetra
          10x MicroRasbora (galaxyrasbora)
          3x German Blue Rams
          8x Otto Cats
          Apprx 15x Amano Shrimp
          2x Red Cherry Shrimp (I had more but I guess they were eaten)

Tank has been set up for apprx 2-3 months.

Not sure what kinda plants (as this if my first):
          I know I have bacopa, java moss, java fern

Houses Drift wood and ADA Brown Substrate

pictures soon as my camera decides to work.

Comment

I'm guessing you don't have co2...and you didn't state what/how much lighting you have. Also are you dosing ferts?

Guessing I would say that your lighting is on too long coupled with no co2 would give algae the room to grow. Also if you have good lighting over the tank that would aid it as well.....without co2 and if you are dosing ferts then there is too much nutrients there with no co2 to aid the plants in growing and using up the nutrients.

ADA substrate is also rich in nutrients and initially it is strong so there could be excess nutrients in the water column.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have one of those cheap CO2 kits from petsmart, sorry.

I use LeafZone to kinda try to boost the plant growth and the lighting is a PC light, 130 watt.

Sorry to leave that out.  I should have pics up on friday.  I did try to pull out as much as possible by hand today... but it's just annoying to look into the tank and see algae.

Comment

Too much light, not enough co2 and imbalance of ferts.

Hopefully the light fixture is a 2x65w and you can kill half of it. That is where I would start along with lowering the photo period to about 8-9hrs.

How much and how many times a week are you dosing the leafzone?
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by Cleetis";p="
                  I use LeafZone to kinda try to boost the plant growth and the lighting is a PC light, 130 watt.
                  Sorry to leave that out.  I should have pics up on friday.  I did try to pull out as much as possible by hand today... but it's just annoying to look into the tank and see algae.
                  Well.. from the look of it, you have pretty slow growing plants to begin with, so it may be possible that you are over-dosing with ferts. I would cut out the ferts for now and lower the lighting timing as suggested above. Either that, or get some fast growing stem plants like ludwidgia. They will help suck up the excess nutrients.

Another thing you can try... if you have 130W PC you probably have 2 x 65 W. You can try removing one of the bulbs and use just 1 x 65. With the plants you have, 1x65 wpg is not a problem at all.

What color is your hair/beard algae... green? Black?
                  If it is green, depending on the extent of growth, the amano may or may not be able to handle it. (keep us posted on how the amano's are doing)
                  If it is black, it's actually "red" algae, commonly known as beard algae. If that is the case, Try flourish Excel at half dose. It should kill it.

IMO, if you are spending money on a cheap petco co2 thinggie, i would toss it and use flourish Excel instead. Overall, it will will be less of a hassle dosing daily/weekly with Excel instead of trying to predict how much co2 that generator is producing.

Good Luck!
                  www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Hmm.... one more thing.. i missed.
                    Remove the carbon!

If you have had carbon in your filter for 2+ months, it is probably already saturated and leaching nutrients back into your water.

Carbon should never be placed in your filter long term (despite what all the filter makers claim). It should be removed as soon as it has done it's job.
                    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

awesome... I've been dosing leaf zone almost weekly but I'll kill half the light to see if there'll be any difference.  The carbon will be removed as soon as I get off of work this weekend and I'll try to get flourish excel on monday.  :)  

The algae just keeps on growing even after I removed most of it the other day.  I agree about the CO2 kit though, the cheap one is very unreliable.  I'm trying to save up for a good kit so I won't have to worry about it.

I'll keep updating throughout the week, and pictures are coming soon.

Thanks for the help so far... if there are anymore suggestiongs, I'd love to hear it.

Comment

Like everyone else said, pictures or a little bit more info on the specific algae would help to figure out what the best cure is.  Hair algae is a nightmare, by the way!  

One question came to mind...what kind of PC light? Do you know the brand, etc?
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

coralife 2x65 watt PC.  6500K and 10000K.  I am getting my camera tonight to take pictures.

Comment

I remember a thread quite a while ago where, I think it was smokin'cache had a problem with either/and hair or beard algae and used double doses of Flourish Excel to get rid of it?
                            Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Too much light....just run the one bulb for now since there is not enough co2 or ferts.

Excel is a quick fix but if you don't square the point of problem you will be constantly "quick fixing" it. With excel if there is sensitive plants like crypts you run the chance of melting them.

I dose 3x the first day then after that you can use a syringe and direct dose on the algae but not to exceed the daily dosage. It works on most alage but beard alage is a bit tougher. Again if you don't take care of the cause it will eventually come back.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X