stem plant root question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stem plant root question

i recently added some new stem plants to my tank (water wisteria) and roots are shooting down from the middle of the plants.  what does this mean?
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Re: stem plant root question

It means you can plant them deeper.

Wisteria is one of those plants that when current, propellers, or feeding fish rip part of a leaf off, it will float downstream, settle to the bottom and grow into a new plant.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

It means that there is not enough nutrients in the substrate so the plant is sending out roots on the side to try and pull nutrients from the water column.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

hmmm that seems a little different then what i thought, mine did that but i had super rich substrate for it, and it still seems to grow like crazy, guess there might have been a whole lot of nutrients in the water column too. either way its a great plant, one of my favorites becuase its soo hard to kill, and it doesnt grow too fast so you dont have to prune constantly. oh and sproett dont I owe you some Italian Vals from way way back, havent seen you in the store lately, i got several small vals if you would like any let me know what day you could come by and get them and i will bring them in to the store. (the petsmart on 610 and westpark if you forgot)
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Thanks everyone, I thought it was a lighting problem.  How can I make my substrate better? I'm using Flourite.  I dose liquid ferts once a week.  I haven't used those fert tabs that go in the substrate.  Should I?

Tiapan, I haven't seen you in there the past few times I've been.  I normally go to the one near the Reliant Stadium, it's closer, but when I'm in your area I stop in there too.  I ended up putting an oscar in my 60G so the Vals won't last too long in there.     My planted tank is 10G, a little short for the Vals.  I've been trying to get my hubby to let me get a 20G planted tank, so far he's not that excited.  He did mention my 10G planted is his favorite tank of ours though.  So where've you been?  I'd love to see an update on your low-tech planted tank.
          58G Malawis
          10G planted

Comment

i am there mon, tuesday, friday saturday sunday, bt usually evenings but all day on the weeknd (if you dont see me in the store walk over to the trainging center in the petshotel(i probably have a class going on) anyway you need to be a little more specific on low tech tank   everyone of my tanks has plants right now and there isnt anything really more high tech then a power compact bulb on any of them. i think yopu are talking about the 60 planted with the potting soil and flourite mix, i will have to get over to my grandfathers and take some new pictures. probably need to trim it back too. anyway speaking of work im runnin late so i gotta go. if you want anything simple like hornwort or anachris they wll go in any size tank gots lots of that too. just pm me a day when you are coming i will try to check n here frequently
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Yes, I meant your 60G, can't wait to see it.  How many planted tanks do you have?  I'll definitely take you up on the hornwort/anacharis, I'll pm you next time I'm headed that way.
              58G Malawis
              10G planted

Comment

Working...
              X