Hospital Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital Tank

This might be a really stupid question..but I'd rather ask then do something I'll regret  

I have a newly aquired 5gal hex QT/Hospital tank. After the sick fish either get better or pass away, do I need to fully clean out the tank before adding anything else??
    75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
    55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco
    29gal: Tore down...For Sale!

Re: Hospital Tank

Not a stupid question at all!

I would recommend cleaning it, yes. No chemicals or anything, unless you're using bleach. Then just OD with dechlorinator a few times (at least that was what I was told to do) to make sure the bleach is gone.

My problem is that whenever I use a tank for QTing new fish, that eventually becomes their new home and I have to buy another QT tank.  
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

hahah well when I purchased the QT tank...I also bought 4 very small tiger barbs  

Which leads to another question...can I add them to my 55gal??
      75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
      55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco

Comment

Don't see why not, after you quarantine them, of course!

BTW - if you start to notice any problems with the tiger barbs and aggression, get a few more. They're usually a lot calmer in larger groups because they pick on eachother, not others.  :)

Comment

How long do I have to quarantine them?

Also, I've never quarantined before...am I making sure they aren't sick before adding them to my other tank. That being said..do I need a larger QT tank?

Comment

I've read that tiger barbs are exteme fin nippers...will I have a problem if I add them with my mollies?

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
              My problem is that whenever I use a tank for QTing new fish, that eventually becomes their new home and I have to buy another QT tank.  
              I think they should be required to put a warning label on QT's giving advance notice to the buyer that the tank will self convert into a regular tank without any warning and the conversion cannot be reversed.  
              Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

hahaha... oh no the cycle begins

watch the the tiger barbs dont nip on the ram anymore..

and i agree your probably gonna need a couple more barbs... mine started attacking the smallest ones(i had 3) and i bought 4 more and all was goos after that

Comment

I usually (well, "usually" being when I have the initial intentions of moving them to an established tank, haha) keep them isolated for about 4 weeks, usually a bit longer, but 4 weeks seems to be the norm among people I've talked to.

And yes, it's a good idea to quarantine any new fish just to make sure they don't pass on anything undesireable to your existing and healthy fish.

You said the 4 tiger barbs are tiny, correct? If so, they should be fine for a few weeks in a five gallon with weekly water changes.  :)

Comment

Mollies will probably be able to hold their own with the tiger barbs. But if you do notice any problems, just get more. That way they have their own drama going on in their own group.  

Comment

Originally posted by szidlon";p="
                      Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                      I think they should be required to put a warning label on QT's giving advance notice to the buyer that the tank will self convert into a regular tank without any warning and the conversion cannot be reversed.  
                         No kidding!!

Comment

Should I just go back to the store and purchase another 3-4 tiger barbs now since I'm quarantining already?

Is my 5gal QT big enough for...let's say...a few catfish or a few sharks or a few cichlids (you get my drift?) at a time without them beating the mess out of each other for the initial "qt period"?

Comment

Now that I thought about it *screams* Son of a EDIT (Went ahead and edited myself!)....

I moved my poor sickly ram over to this qt/hosp tank and added the 4 tiny tiger barbs all at the same time....what should I expect when I get home?!  

stupid :aua: stupid  :aua:

Comment

who know... if the barbs are still small they might not do anythign to the ram.... cross your fingers i guess and hope they just chase eachother around

Comment

Ooooooo I just want to slap myself sometimes  :doh:

Comment

Working...
                              X