Odyssea B45 puts too many bubbles into water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odyssea B45 puts too many bubbles into water

Does anyone else have one of these Odyssea tanks w/ the built-in filter in the lid?  I'm not sure if the nano's have the same issue, but my Odyssea B45 puts way too many bubbles in the water.  I bought it with the intention of making it a planted tank, but besides the bubbles being unsightly, they won't be too good for the plants.  I've tried three things with no luck:  
    1) slowing the flow by putting a piece of 1/2" PVC in the downspout where the water flows back into the tank, just to take up space
    2) filter foam attached to the output inside the aquarium
    3) filter foam in the filter on top of the inlet to the downspout

Any other tips, insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.  At least I have only put water in it so far.  It's possible I could still return it if the store will allow.  I plan on calling them today to see if they have any suggestions or will take it back if I can't get the problem addressed.

Thanks,
    neuendri
    neuendri

160 Gal. Odyssea - African Cichlid
    45 Gal. Odyssea - Planted
    35 Gal Corner African Cichlid grow-out
    4-10 Gal African Cichlid Nursery

Re: Odyssea B45 puts too many bubbles into water

Get rid of it?

Most all of the All-In-One tanks are not too good for a planted tank due to their limited lighting and horrible filtration set-ups....a lot of them you can fix but ones like the Odyssea and Eclipse are a bit harder.  

If there is an output hose try routing it back into the water if not you might have to build a tray to catch the water coming out and direct it back into the water either like a slide or a straight up box and drain hose.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I think the lighting is sufficient, it has 2 36W 10000K CF bulbs in it.  

Let me try to describe the filter...

There is a submerged powerhead in the tank that pumps mostly up and into the filter, but also has some side-discharge creating a little current.  The filter has dividers basically making two boxes.  A spray bar runs the length of these two boxes.  There is a filter pad in the bottom of each box and a channel underneath that runs the length of the two boxes.  The water flows down through the filter pad and the channel takes it to a third partition.  There is about a 1" or 1-1/8" tube that sticks up about 1" into the chamber, but lower than the tops of the two boxes.  The water comes into this third box from the channel and once it gets as high as the top of this tube, it flows down into the tank.  The tube sticks down into the water a couple inches and has a fan-shaped right-angle flow-director at the end so all the water doesn't just go straight down.

The pump flows enough volume, at least w/ clean filter pads, that there is always enough water to completely fill the downspout tube.

Thanks,
      neuendri
      neuendri

Comment

Since you've made sure that the tubes are all completely full of water, maybe just wait a little bit? If you just recently (i.e. today, yesterday...) set this tank up, the bubbles could be coming from the new filter media in the process of fully absorbing all the water. (Does that make sense?)

I've never tried an Odyssea tank before, so I'm not sure about any of this. Does B45 mean it's 45 gallons?
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yes, it is a 45 gallon "Bow".  It's not as curved as the Oceanic or All-Glass bow front.  It also has the curved glass front corners.  I setup the tank late last night and it was still bad this morning.  The two boxes in the filter do have bubbles on the surface, but I can't really see any bubbles getting to the downspout tube, they seem to get created when the water gets to the tank.  As for the filter pads, they are just two 3/8" thick blue filter pads and are completely submerged, not really enough to not be saturated yet, IMO.

Thanks,
          neuendri
          neuendri

Comment

I just spoke w/ the owner of the store and he said to be patient.  Once the slime coat gets established it will stop making the bubbles.  He said they have a tank in the store that's been running a while and it doesn't make the bubbles.  I'm certain I looked at their displays, and would have noticed if it was full of bubbles, but can't specifically remember it.

It sounds plausible that this could level out with time, especially considering I don't have fish or anything in it yet.

Thanks,
            neuendri
            neuendri

Comment

I have seen the Odyssea and almost bought the little b5 I believe it was called.

Like Mzungu stated....let it settle down for a bit and see how it goes from there. With the lighting....it is marginal....the reflectors is non-existent so you lose about half of the lighting that is there so what would be close to 72w of lighting over  45g now becomes just the 36w over a 45g.....not even close to 1wpg. Also if I am not mistaken the lighting is positioned over the front half of the tank so the rear half gets close to no lighting which is where you would want most of your taller plants at and that would cause them to grow forward towards the lighting shading all plants up front causing them to become leggy.

Just some things I noted about the tank's design when I looked at them. When I saw it I had noted to myself that if I were to get one the first thing to go was the filtration setup in favor of more lighting and I would go with an eheim to filter the tank.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

There is a reflector, but I believe it is flat with bends at the edges, not a smooth curve, but it's a reflector none the less.  And the lighting is in the middle of the tank.  The filter is in the back and the front has the lid you open for feeding, etc.  As it sits, with nothing in the tank, it appears to be very well lit, but that may certainly change once I start planting in it...

Thanks,
                neuendri
                neuendri

Comment

I am just stating the flaws that I saw in the the tank when I looked at it. The reflector is not the best and the shape cause re-strike which will cause a loss in lighting into the tank usable to the plants.

Also the 10,000k is less efficient for plants then something around the 6700k range.

Post a picture of what you are working with and it might help with ideas on how to improve it some.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Try adjusting the flow rate by restrecting the input to the pump.  
                    Wrap some foam around the pickup.
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I will try to restrict the input flow tonight when I get home and will also take some pics and post them.  I planned on picking up plants and some fish Saturday for this setup.  Should I wait?

Thanks,
                      neuendri
                      neuendri

Comment

Plants sound like a good plan, I might wait on the fish, though. Unless you can put some old filter media in there (which might also help with the bubbles... :idea: )
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Unless you plan on getting enough plants to fill the whole tank I would wait on the fish.

You can get by with planted cycling but it has to be heavily stocked on plants so that it can absorb any nitrogen spike.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I do have two bags of bio-media stuffed in the back of my BioWheel 200 on my 35 gallon corner tank that's been in there nearly a week.  I plan on putting one in each chamber of the filter.  I basically did the same thing with my 10 gallon nursery tanks by running my sponge filters in my 160 for a week, then filling them at least half way w/ old aquarium water...  Instant cycle...  

And, yes, I do plan on jamming it full of plants...  There was a forum member selling the plants out of his 125.  I'm getting half of them, and I might get more at City Pets when I'm in town Saturday.

As for fish, I want 25-30 neons or cardinals and a couple bottom feeders, maybe a small Chinese algae eater when the need arises, that's it.

Thanks,
                            neuendri
                            neuendri

Comment

Chinese algae eaters are not really that beneficial....it's the Siamese algae eaters and those get lazy as time passes. For algae I would go with Otocinclus/O-cats, Red Cherry shirmp and Amano shrimp.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X