Madagascar Lace Flower!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madagascar Lace Flower!

This plant came from the HAS auction in July from Dave's Rare Fish. It was labeled as Aponogeton fenestralis 'West Coast Madagascan Lace.'

I love this plant! Unfortunately, I'll probably have to pass it on soon, as my tanks are not big enough.  :(  It's been putting out almost a leaf/day, being in my high light / CO2 injected / daily ferts tank. But it's gorgeous!

Here's the bud when it touched the surface of the water:

The next day, a close up:

The flower started showing:

The next day:

And last night:

And while taking the pictures, I found out that the flower smells really nice!  

Just wanted to share, I'm pretty happy.  :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Madagascar Lace Flower!

If anyone can share with me any experiences they've had with this plant, that'd be great. Since there are a few different kinds of "Madagascar Lace," the info I've found is different wherever I go. I can't seem to find definitive info about whether I need to pollenate it myself with a paint brush or leave it be. I've heard these plants can be picky, so I'd like to be able to propogate it this time and not have to wait for an unknown length of time for it to flower again, if it ever does!

Thanks!  

Comment

Thats one of the best flowering plant I have seen.  I was fortunate to see it while it was in my cousin tank.  When I took it home the plant died.  I bought a new one but I think this plant require high light.  I have a low light tank the leaves only reach about 6 inch high.  The flower is the best I've seen in any aquatic plants.  Brilliant purple with a touch of white.  NIce pictures you have took.
      180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

Beautiful!

Every time I tried the plant it died.  :(
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks! I've heard a lot of people say that they've tried unsuccessfully with this plant, so I was incredibly surprised when I saw the bud!  8O

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
            Beautiful!

Every time I tried the plant it died.  :(
            Me too, I can't get them to live for the life of me.

That's a GREAT looking plant you have there!! 8)

Comment

If you get rid of that plant let me know. As it will go into my 180 with open top.
              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I've always loved them but never had any success.
                but that was without high light or CO2.  

How tall is your tank ?
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I don't have a tank large enough for mine, so I put it in one of the water garden/guppy ponds outside.  It hasn't flowered, likely cause is all the duckweed that shades it so much.  One of these days I"ll get that 50 tall set up and be able to house some of my taller plants.  Right now the tallest thing I have set up is an 18 gallon.  It's nowhere near tall enough for that though.  

I never even realized they bloomed at all, let alone such a beautiful one!  I got mine as i was fascinated by it's unique foilage!

Excellant pics Mzungu - Thanks for sharing!!!  Now I have a little more inspiration to get that 50T resealed and running  :)
                  The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                  Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                    I've always loved them but never had any success.
                    but that was without high light or CO2.  

How tall is your tank ?
                    I think some of us just aren't meant to have them cause I had mine under high light, co2, ferts and rich substrate.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Is that a Lamp-eye I see?
                      So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Thanks, everyone!  

I have to again emphasize that it smells heavenly, for lack of a better, less cheesy word!  :love:  I took a few more pictures last night, but slept in a bit this morning and forgot to bring them to work so I could post them. I know nothing about the whole plant reproduction thing, so forgive me if I sound stupid...but there's pollen on the little flowers now. I couldn't find a paintbrush, so I used a feather (thanks to my bird) to try to be a bee. I'm not sure if I accomplished anything, however, as I'm not even sure what should be done.  :?

Walter - Tim has first dibs, but I'll put you on the list.  :)

It's a bit embarassing, but this tank is a 15 gallon (24Lx12Wx12H). But, it's the tank that is the most accomodating to plants, and since I was nervous this one wouldn't grow, in it went. So, I guess it's pretty easy to imagine how a growth rate of almost a leaf a day looks in this tank.  

Fire_chair - If by lamp-eye you mean M. sanctaefilomenae (red eye tetra, since there's no way I'm pronouncing that name) then yeah! These guys have been with me since my first aquarium. They're afforded special privileges b/c they're so old and stubborn.  :)

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention - I have 2 reasons for wanting to help this plant make little plants. One, well, because it's awesome. And two, if it's doing well in one of my tanks, maybe there's something special about it.    So its offspring can maybe be spread around Houston and do well in others' tanks.

If anyone knows ANYTHING about pollenating and such, be it about this plant or just plants (even terrestrial) in general, tell me! I need help.  :(

Comment

Yeah that's it. Great fish, one of my favorites.
                            So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

I have read that after an APON flowers it is likely to enter its dormant stage. (this was true with my Ulvaceous) So if you aren't successful this round expect it to be a while before you can try again.
                              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                              n

Comment

Working...
                              X