Better Lighting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Lighting??

I'm really not sure what blubs I'm currently using over my 55 gal but it just doesn't look pretty! It has more of a "yellowish" tone to the light. Is there better bulbs that will make the tank look not so yellowish? (No, the water is clean...it's not the water color!)
    75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
    55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco
    29gal: Tore down...For Sale!

Re: Better Lighting??

Well, since I don't see any live plants in there, you'll be fine with any lighting you choose.
    That said, were these the lights that came with the tank? If so, I'd guess they're just plain old linear fluorescents. If you can possibly post the brand and any other info that's on the actual bulb, that might help. But generally, a bulb with a higher K rating will be progressively less yellow, and a little more blue. Generally. So, usually, for instance, a 6700K bulb will be a little more yellow looking than a 10000K bulb.
    Is it a 48" bulb, or two 24" bulbs?
    My advice would be to find out the K rating (which roughly translates to Correlated Color Temperature) of your bulbs and get something higher. Some even use actinics, which put out a blue light, but that's just a matter of preference.  :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

the drift wood can also turn the water a yellowish color.....

Comment

When I get home today I'll look at the bulbs. Bought the tank and lights from someone on craigslist...didn't look at the bulbs because they worked! I'll just upgrade to a higher K, sounds like that'll work. It's 2 seperate lights up there. Thanks Mzungu  

Again, the water is NOT yellow. It's the tint that's coming from the lights. You can see what I'm talking about on the picture. See how the gravel and anything the lights are hittting directly look sorta yellow??
        75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
        55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco

Comment

Sure thing! You can just go to HomeDepot/Lowes and find some bulbs with a higher K rating, no sense in paying 5 times as much for a special aquarium bulb at an LFS if you don't want to.  :)

Comment

Yippee....I have a company HomeDepot card I can use!!!  :think:

Comment

You can either buy them or drive to Houston & I will give you some.
              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Originally posted by wvgdiscus";p="
                You can either buy them or drive to Houston & I will give you some.
                Thank so much for the offer I won't be in Houston until sometime next month  

Comment

easiest fix is go to walmart and buy the light bulbs from the fish/pet section. those lights look good. and  i think theyre 5bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingaddict";p="
                    easiest fix is go to walmart and buy the light bulbs from the fish/pet section. those lights look good. and  i think theyre 5bucks.

Are you referring to those spiral bulbs they sell? I would think she might need something a little longer for the 55g and those bulbs you can find better options in the lighting section.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

no they sell some 18" ge aquarium lighting and theyre perfect for the job.

Comment

Checked what lights I have last night:

(2) Eclipse "Natural Daylight" F15T8  18"

Comment

All righty. After a little search, I found out those bulbs are 6500K. So, anything higher should be great. You could try the GE Aquarium bulbs, the ones that are 9325K, I've heard they have a nice color to them. Here's a link to the bulb:

But, anything higher than 6500K should be less yellow. Good luck!  

Edit: Not sure if these are the same as the one that fishingaddict posted, could be.

Comment

Thanks

I'll be replacing them shortly and I'll post new pics!!

Comment

I tried different light on my 125. I found the most eye pleasing to be 3rows of light from front to back 10K, 6700 and 6700. The 10K in the front brightened the tank and got rid of the yellow look of the 6700.

Hmm I looked back up and relized that there are no live plants in there. Go with a 8000-10K light. Go any high than 10K and the start looking blue.
                              Smokin_Cache
                              Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
                              Lets see what the imagination fruits.
                              Check out my last tank

Comment

Working...
                              X