Breeding Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding Box

Yeah, I finally have babies.   My tank is almost completely lined on the bottom with 2 large grass mats and along with some other plastic plants in the aquarium I thought it would be plenty of cover for the babies.  But they aren't very smart and while I am tending to the tank this morning I see one swimming above and the alpha female darts at it and as it dives in the grass so does the female gobbling it up.  Typical.  I put the mom in one of those vented breeding boxes that has the vent for the babies to fall through.  I dunno if my female is still birthing but are those little boxes any good?  The female was swimming around this morning while last night when I first noticed the babies she was hidden in a flower pot.  If when I get home there isn't any babies I am going to wonder if she ate them or if she stopped birthing.
    And good/bad experiences with these boxes.  When I get home this evening I am going to put in a tank divider and put the babies (if there is any) on one side.

Re: Breeding Box

I think a tank divider would be a better choice. I haven't used the plastic boxes before, but I have tried to use one of those mesh boxes, and after a few days I would recommend taking it out...although it's possible, it's just really difficult and time consuming to keep the water circulating in there, and also keeping it clean. That's my experience, anyway.

Ideally, get some moss in there. It will provide much more safety for the fry than plastic plants, and also will contain lots of food for them.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

When I had guppies floating plants worked great for the fry since they like to swim upwards after being born which keeps them out of sight of the parents.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

well i have breeding guppies for a long time, sometimes when u use a small aquarium  and leave the female alone, nothing happens she dont touch the fry.
        another and the most efective for me its having a net big enough to put several females on it , bigger enough for the fry to pass, but not big enoguh for the parents to pass.
        another important observation is you have to be especially carefull  if you have albino guppies because they do tend to eat their fry.
        for now nothing else.
        o yeah bredding boxes are kind of bad for this fish they get very stress and soemtimes die on them.

Comment

Working...
        X