HOB filter ran dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOB filter ran dry

okay ... i was so dumb, I accidentaly ran my AquaClear 110 dry for a few second. It's not working now, i think the motor still run but the impeller just wont spin at all ... Can anyone tell me whats broken and is there anyway I can fix it  ?
    My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Re: HOB filter ran dry

Try picking up the intake tube and putting it back again...and make sure the actual filter is filled with water. I've done it before, too. This is usually all it takes for the filter to get going again, at least in my experience.  :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

either spin impeller by hand or hit motor on ground a couple of times.
      it will take off.

Comment

Yeah my 50 went wacko last night from some sand it picked up.  Just spin it by hand, and or tap on the motor casing....it will run again.

Comment

Actaully I have one I can't get to work either. I've spun it by hand, hit it, and banged it on the ground. The impeller spins but not enough to suck the water up and cycle water like it's suppose to. And yes that was with water already in it.

Comment

Yea i think i'm in the same boat with CichlidLover ... did all those stuff but still wont work ... but my impeller wont spin at all

Comment

Take it all apart and remove the impeller with a pair of plyers.  If you can't get the impeller out of it, it might be time to buy a new one.  I took the impeller out of mine and blew it out to make sure it was clear.  Seems like this ultrafine sand that I have is an impeller killer.  This makes number 5 that it has wiped out from Marinelands, to a Liberty on my 10g, and now to my AquaClear 50.

Comment

Yeah I already bought a new one.

Comment

Can you hear the motor running?

Comment

Yes I can. I can see it too. Just doesn't suck up the water in the tube, it's weird

Comment

Mine did that too.  It's like it wasn't balanced enought to generate the rpms to pull suction through the tube.  Make sure the tube is straight over the the inlet port.  I just kept messing with mine until it seemed to work fine but then started grinding like there was something in between the impeller and the shaft or shaft was warped.....just like all my other ones did.

Comment

Take the HOB filter off of the tank
                        remove the filter(s) and the intake tube and pour out the water and slime.
                        twist the motor 90 degrees and pull out from the bottom
                        with a pair of needle nose plyers or large tweezers remove the impeller
                        Hold the impeller magnet with one hand and spin the impeller blade with the other.  It should rotate about 180 degrees and stop.  If the blade continues to spin while you hold the magnet then the magnet has seperated from its plastic shaft.   Sometimes you can let it dry and glue the magnet back with superglue.  Most times you are better off going to a LFS and purchasing a new impeller assembly.  Bring the old one with you as there are many sizes and shapes on the market.
                        Before you reassemble your HOB filter, clean out the hole in the motor with a brissle brush. This is where sand, slime and crud collect and slow down / stop your flow rate.

PS while you have it apart, put all the plastic parts in the dishwasher - no soap - just a cup of bleach after it starts washing.  Rember to set the dishwasher on no heat dry (energy saver)

PPS most canaster filter have a magnetic drive motor on top and the impeller & motor cavity should be dissassembled and cleaned the same waY.
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

aaahhhh .... thanks y'all i got mine working again ...

Comment

8O  Wow, PhishPhreek, why didn't you just say that in the first place?!  

Glad you got it going again, h0nkzz.

Comment

Working...
                            X