Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any success with multiple inlet points on canister filters??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any success with multiple inlet points on canister filters??

I am in the process of turning my 30L into a nursery tank.  I have 3 females that I am about to isolate so that they can spit safely.  My issue is with the filtration side of my set up.  Once I divide the tank up, it's tough to get good filtration to all areas.  My thoughts were to take one of my canister filters and make a inlet pipe with 3 separate openings.  Then I could just use the spray bar across the top to keep the water moving.  Has anyone done this?  Would the canister have enough strength to pull from all three openings or would the inlet pressue decrease too much???  Any other ideas....

Thanks as always.

Re: Any success with multiple inlet points on canister filte

Why not cut slits at the top of the dividers so it will act as an "overflow" through the partitions?

It would be somewhat easier that way and have sponge filters in the individual partitions for added circulation.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thought about the overflow idea but was afraid the fry would get mixed up and I wouldn't know what I had where.

I also thought about using the perforated sheets that you use for sewing as the dividers but didn't know if the little ones could get through the holes or not.

How large of an air pump would you need to run three sponge filters in a 30 gallon tank.....the bigger the better I'm guessing.

Comment

I wouldn't know but I am sure the others would be able to help you there, I don't use air pumps so I wouldn't know.

The sponge filters would be a better option IMO if you have to keep thing separate.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What type of sponge filters were you referring to???  The ones that I am familiar with are a simple piece of PVC inserted in a sponge with an air line running down into it.

Comment

That's the economical way, but not the prettiest.  You can buy pre-made sponge filters and all you have to do is provide the airline and air of course.  

I simple heavy duty double outlet air pump should do the trick.  Just add a multiple outlet on each line.  This is plenty filtration and aeration for fry.  

Raul
            Raul
            PokerFace

Comment

When we say heavy duty.....  I have a pump that has dual outlets but I don't know if you could call it "heavy duty" per say.

Comment

balanceing in & out of the 3 flows is not a cheap or easy thing to do.  If you dont have balanced in & and out flow then you will have flow around or over your tank dividers and with it some fry will be relocated.

The quick & easy solution is to provide 3 inexpencive filter systems.  I like foam/sponge filters but any box filter or small HOB filters will work.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Is it something like 3" x 4-5" in size?  I'm sure it would work fine.
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

Hanson,

come on over tonight after work and we can make some sponge filters for your tanks.

Raul
                    Raul
                    PokerFace

Comment

It's close to that....if not I have a few more smaller air pumps that will do the job.  I just wanted to run one so I could limit some of the electricity that I am burning through on this one bedroom apt.

Comment

Will need some air tubing and air tubing connecters....
                        Raul
                        PokerFace

Comment

I've got most all of that.  I just need to knock out a few sponge filters tonight and get everyone separated out.  The tank has been running already so no need to cycle it.  Moved all of it's residents last night in preparation.

Comment

Working...
                          X