To use eggcrate or not, is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To use eggcrate or not, is the question

I just read thru this thread and found it fantastic full of good information.

I personally do not use eggcrate, and have used bare bottom tanks for 10 years with no eggcrate and tremendous amounts of rockwork, and have never had a leak.

In this thread you will find that a designer of Oceanic Aquariums states that you can put on the bare bottom glass 2X the total weight that the tank will hold in water.

So, basically if a 125 holds 8lbs per gallon water that comes to 1000 lbs.  Therefore, you could keep on barebottom glass, 2,000 lbs of rock.  That's ONE TON of rocks!  You could put more, but then that is working into the safety factor, that I would not want to do so.

I hope you enjoy the reading..

A forum community dedicated to Cichlid Fish owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about breeding, health, behavior, housing, adopting, care, classifieds, and more!
    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Re: To use eggcrate or not, is the question

Thats some good info.
    The problem I have is if the tank is bare bottom. The egg create is very hard to keep clean.

If it is a planted tank then the egg create is a very good way to go. It will give a place for the rooted plants to attached to.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Re: To use eggcrate or not, is the question

i dont use eggcrate but i use polypropylene board which like cardboard made out of plastic ... no particular reason, I just dont like that feeling when a rock slip or fall and hit the bottom glass ...  
      My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Comment

Working...
      X