Just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering

I have noticed that at times my fish will stop and shake for a second or two. I have seen it happen at LFS, I was just wondering if anyone knew what that is about? I have always wondered but never remembered to ask anyone.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Re: Just wondering

could be a problem with water chemistry, or something is irritating their gills.     Could also be signs of spawning.

Comment

Like txfront stated it could be water params or breeding. Sometimes its a dominance thing.

What fish is doing it and under what conditions?
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The only time I see it, it is the dominant male Zebra OB and one other male.
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Any time i have experienced that it has been the sub dominant fish doing the dance when confronted by the alpha.  In any case, it doesn't sound like water parameters so just keep an eye on them.

Comment

Violent shimmying is the fish equivalent of flexing. Typically the males will do this to show dominance or to entice females. When 1 male shimmies at another it usual precedes violence of some sort. ( this is my spot, go away, or I want that spot, defend it.)
            Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Fish Fart  
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

:)  From my observations it seems like you are right Scott soon after it he will chase any male that is near him especially a particular one which is the only other fish that does it. I presume they are arguing whos spot is where.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Depending what kind of fish these are.....my Peacocks will contort their bodies and stretch out all of their fins so that they look huge and swim circles around the other.  It's all territorial and who's the boss type stuff.  I can get pretty violent though when they lock up mouth to mouth.  How big of a tank do you have these guys in???  I ended up having to separate my males because one was getting pretty beat up.

Comment

Working...
                  X